The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
turbosix

Looking for opinions

I want to buy an 1987 Silverado for a daily driver. I want a nice one but not tooo nice because it will be my DD. My question is, do I look for an all original or semi-restored, like paint, seat cover ect...
I'm afraid a nice all original will not be nice long because it's 27 years old and will start to need everything. Would my money be best spent on one that's been restored or one I restore myself?

Anyone with experiences?

Thanks
1 Pt. 3:21

'72 C10 LWB 402
turbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
notallthere

Re: Looking for opinions

It will always be more cost effective to buy one that is semi restored then to do it yourself. Just go through it carefully before buying it. Even a semi restored one you will run into issues every now and then. I bought one that was in okay shape and it took me 4 years of daily driving it before I became comfortable enough not to worry every time I took it on a trip that was more then 20 minutes. Since you are in Texas you will not have to deal with half of what us Northerners have to deal with when it comes to our old junk. Good luck I hope this helps.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
Gotenntitans

If you find a good one, whether restored or not, you'll know it. Don't jump all over the first one you find, you'll find one that's been cared for OR redone the right way, but it may be a while. Enjoy the search and test drive them all. When you get behind the wheel and it drives nice and tight and it looks like you want it to look, that'll be the one.

As a GMC guy, I wouldn't pass on a nice '87 GMC High Sierra or even a not as fancy Sierra like the one my dad and I have been working on for my son. It's been a GREAT TRUCK and has a new 350 in him. Ready for another 200+K miles, I hope.

GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado

Last edited by Gotenntitans; 04-18-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
turbosix

Thanks for the good solid advice. I think the hardest part will be waiting for the right one. I would take a GMC as well, they're just as good.
1 Pt. 3:21

'72 C10 LWB 402
turbosix is offline   Reply With Quote