The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2003, 11:38 PM   #1
70 longbed

Trailing arm bushings

I have a 70 longbed c10. Do I need to completely remove the trailing arm to replace the bushings. Are there any secrets in this taslk that I need to know about before I begin. The bed is off, so I am sure that now is the time to accomplish this.

70 CST longbed in progress. Hoping to get it back on the road soon.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:54 AM   #2
paintpyro

Trailing arm bushing arent fun. I burned mine out with a propane torch. Yes, you'll need to completely remove them. If there is a way to do it without removing them, Ive never heard it. good luck, itll leave you
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I have a NEW set of bushings that I'm not useing. Yours for $10 and shipping
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
Custom 68

I went to Autozone and rented one of their removers it looks like a beefy c-clamp with a hole in one end where the bushing goes out and different size cups on the other end for support. I crawled under my truck used my impact and went at it. Yes it can be done under the truck. Now last weekend I replaced the ones laying on the floor and they were much easier but you can do it with that tool.
good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
COBALT

I did mine last fall (a year ago), and here's what I did.

Got under the truck (I had my bed on), and soaked the bolts with plenty of penetrant. Waited until it was nice and deep, then fired up the blue wrench (propane torch). Heated up the bolts.

Then, with a 3/4" drive breaker and a floor jack I broke those bolts loose using the concrete floor, and the jack to put pressure on the breaker bar. Not too fancy, but it did the job. You may have to heat, cool, and soak several times to get them to break loose.

Once the trailing arms were out I didn't waste my time trying to "press" them out with any of my presses. Since it's so thick it's just a process of using your blue wrench to burn out the bushings. You won't re-use the metal cores anyway. They fall right out, and burn on the floor. This is simple and doesn't require you to:

a. risk deforming the end of the trailing arm.
b. spend a lot of energy to get the bushing cleanly out.
c. end up with rubber residue all over the inside of your trailing arm you'll have to clean out because the old bushing was dried out and breaking apart.

All you'll have is soot, and that's easy to clean with some brake cleaner and some scotch brite.

I got my bushings from Early Classic Enterprises (but I got mine in a kit with the panhard bar bushings, and the front swaybar bushings). They were Energy Suspensions.

They banged into the trailing arm just fine with some lube, but they ended up being too long (the trailing arm wouldn't fit back into the bracket on the frame). I had to run the bushing against the side of my grinder wheel to reduce the length by 1/16" to get them to fit into the bracket. Once that was done I used new grade 8 bolts and nuts to reattach the trailing arm to the frame, and then I torqued to spec.

Done.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I did mine about the same way as Cobalt, but I couldn't get one of the nuts loose until I had it almost plastic (left wrench marks in the sides) heating with oxy-acetylene. My bushings wouldn't fit, at first, so I radiused the corners and squeezed them with clamps to slide them in. I pulled my arms out to lower the truck, ended up replacing them due to rust at the springs.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
70 longbed

Cobalt,

You did remove the trailing from the truck to do this? Seperate front and rear and work on the bench!

70 CST longbed in progress. Hoping to get it back on the road soon.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Overholt11

Re: Trailing arm bushings

Any tips on getting the new ones back in. It's pretty tight even with greasing them. Not sure?
Overholt11 is offline   Reply With Quote