The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Mattchu60

Dual Exhaust options - mandrel bent or not? and mufflers

Hey all, I'm putting new exhaust on the truck - I'm going to do a manifold-back system. Looks like I have 3 options for that - Dynomax, Flow-tech and a Hooker Headers system - all are 2 1/4". The Dynomax and Flow-tech are both around the same price and have crush bends, the Hooker Headers system is madrel bent.

I'm running an 87' k10 with TBI 350 - not a big powerhouse engine here. Is there any benefit to going to mandrel bent system over the crush bend? Its about $140 for the Dynomax and Flow-tech, and $220 for the Hooker Headers system, so $80 more. Same guage steel for all 3. My thought is go with the flowtech system, as it has pretty good reviews.

Any thoughts on mufflers? I'd like something pretty quiet, but a little more than stock. I hear good things about magnaflows. Any thoughts here would be helpful.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
85chevy86

Re: Dual Exhaust options - mandrel bent or not? and mufflers

I know people like the mandrel bent but if you are not worried about making big power or anything I say go with one of the others. Save the $80 for something else. Can not help with the mufflers. But I am also looking at magnaflows when I do the exhaust on my 86 c-10
85chevy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Magnaflows are straight through pipe mufflers. If you want quiet, get the 20" body long mufflers. If ya want a little more thunder, install the 14" body mufflers. I run dual 14" body Magnaflows, X-pipe and no cats. People compliment the sound all the time. They really start to wake up above 2000 RPMs. Quiet enough for a long drive. I can't hear them above the radio at highway speeds.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

A TBI 350 is no powerhouse that needs an exotic exhaust system. Crush bent will do fine. Spend the money saved on something else you need.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Tdubbyount

I got a 3" build it yourself kit from summit. Built myself a true dual, fully mandrel bent system in one evening with a chop saw and a Lincoln 100 amp welder. Cost me less than 300 bucks, and I got to route it how I wanted it! Sounds wayyyy better than my flo tech 2 1/4 kit, came with better hangers and flex joints too! Good deep tone, not ratty. Threw some cheapo turbo mufflers on it and it's pretty quiet, no drone.

1957 Chevy long stepper...not sure what I'm doing with that one yet. Awaiting funds I suppose.
Tdubbyount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
K5owner

Magnaflow flows well and quiets even better. IMHO it is too quiet for the price they charge. Look into summit's versions or mufflers are they are very decent for the price. Whether you go chambered or straight through you will be happy because you didn't pay $80+ per muffler for something that fits your needs.
K5owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
donut

How about a cheap turbo muffler?

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Magnaflows are expensive compared to knock offs, but the quality is definitely there.

And they have something going for them that knock off mufflers don't.

I guess y'all can tell, I'm a Magnaflow guy through and through. High quality, made in USA stuff, carries a higher pricetag.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
Mattchu60

There are a lot of different Magnaflows types out there, what would be a good choice for something that is just a little louder than stock? Its hard to tell from the info on their website.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
K5owner

These walker mufflers won't break the bank, are perforated core and flow well. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-18406/overview/ they sound better then stock but not obnoxious. Honestly you are not going to gain much power with a muffler swap you are just gaining sound. These actually sound pretty good too http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-633230/overview/ now the headers/manifolds, H or X pipe and length of the exhaust will gain you more power then muffler selection. At best you might gain a few horsepower but not enough for even the best trained butt dynos to feel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CByO8UtxyJ8

Now I do and have had magnaflow mufflers on many of my vehicles (2003 F250 CC SD 5.4L, 2002 Mustang GT magnapacks, 1986 K10, tried them on my 2005 mustang GT) and although they are well constructed they do tend to be on the quiet side. For instance on my 05 mustang they were quieter then the factory mufflers! I run FRPP GTA mufflers on it now but like on my 02 mustang with the magna packs it sounds great. The K10 and the F250 were and are too quiet. It really depends on which magnaflows you get. Check youtube for vids and decide for yourself.

Last edited by K5owner; 04-21-2014 at 11:12 PM.
K5owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Here are pictures of my setup. Custom made trans crossmember for dual exhaust. Xpipe from Advance Auto store. Dual magnaflow 14" body mufflers. Chevelle ceramic coated headers.
Attached Images