The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
creekncabin

Automatic Floor Shifters

I am kicking around the idea of installing a Lokar floor shifter on my TH350. Any thoughts or advice? Any pics, etc. out there would be helpful too.
creekncabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Carmen Black

Re: Automatic Floor Shifters

I just took a B&M mega shifter out of my truck today. It worked great, but took up so much floor space that I couldn't move the bench forward at all.

Lokar had a big display at the car show at Charlotte Motor Speedway a few weeks ago. All of their stuff looked really high quality.

I am hoping to replace my shifter with just a Lokar rod that will go from the steering column to the transmission lever. I have a manual column, but think I can make it work.

Also, using the Lokar cable shifter would allow you to mount the shifter anywhere in the cab if you wanted. The ones that attach to the transmission have to be directly above the transmission. But if the cable mechanism is like the B&M, it takes up a lot of room because the mechanism is above the floor where as the shifter that attaches to the transmission has most of its mechanism below the floor.

Make sure you can hook up a neutrel saftey switch as well. If you get the digital indicator that shows what gear you are in, it has one. But it is also another $200.

Since you were asking for thoughts, just thought I would throw some random ones out there.
Carmen Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
creekncabin

Re: Automatic Floor Shifters

Carmen Black, Thanks for the info. I did see the cable shifters in Speedway website. So many styles and companies to choose from. Don't think I have to worry about the bench seat because the seat stays all the way back. Long legs at 6'3".

It is nice to have the space on the floor in front of center seat though. But the floor shifter is cool, and cleans up the steering wheel area. I bought the truck in September of last year, so I just got it out of winter storage. Think I will run (Cold Ethel) is her name for a couple months and before I put fresh flooring in make the switch.

I will check on the neutral safety switch issue too.
creekncabin is offline   Reply With Quote