The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
Dirtkid93

2 new problems

ok so i have a230 inline 6 engine. 3.8 liter, when given gas at half-full throttle, the dinky 1 barrel carburetor bogs down and actually causes me to lose speed. would this be an air/gas mixture easy 3 second fix? i just rebuilt it too and it ran strong, no I'm having a hard time getting up to 45 mph ( if I'm lucky )

and the second question is my lighting, my blinkers run fast like one of them is burnt out but they aren't, and my brake lights don't work when i step on the peddle, but the running lights in the rear work, so could this be a ground wire issue? bad relay switch?
Dirtkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
jtrichard

Re: 2 new problems

has wrong flasher and check the brake light switch for power in and out
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
tincan1966

As far as the "bogging" under part throttle, I'd be thinking you have an accelerator pump problem in the carb. Possibly it is not seating tightly in the bore and not providing enough fuel. There is also a possibility that you've picked up some dirt thru the fuel system and it is restricting other components, like the fuel pump or filter. The strainer that is on the bottom of the pickup tube in the fuel tank is common to come off on these trucks.

best thing to test first would be the fuel pressure and volume, if that is good, then that eliminates any restriction from tank to carb. Then look at the carb.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
63burban4x4

You might be able to tell if the accelerator pump is bad, just look down the carb with the motor off, hit the gas a couple of times......if you see gas spray in, I'd say the AP is probably going to be OK. on the other problem, bad grounds will raise havoc, especially with turn signals, bleeding power into the other lights, in my experience. I have found that a bad or wrong flasher will often cause the lights to flash too fast, but bad grounds will light up other lights on the system, usually all dimly.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote