The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Progress made today!

Today was the day my dad and I drilled out the broken bolt. I wish I had pics of dad in there but I had left my phone in my kitchen.

After many attempts to center punch the broken bolt, we realized there was still some broken extractor in there. So out came my dremel tool again and this time, I ground until I heard a change in the sound it made....I also noticed I was quickly biting into the bolt shaft.

Dad took over and drilled nearly dead center through her! It was really something to see a 72 year old man do that sort of thing. I changed out his bits for him and kept up with oil lubrication when he asked for it.

Guess what! The threads are still intact: one of the other bolts fit with no problem.

Now....does anyone have a spare gas tank retaining bolt and washer I could buy or bum?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Re: Progress made today!

Are you needing the bolt and the rectangle shaped flange washer that holds it in place? If so, get me your address and I will drop one in the mail. Thanks, Fred.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
Are you needing the bolt and the rectangle shaped flange washer that holds it in place? If so, get me your address and I will drop one in the mail. Thanks, Fred.
Thanks brother but I think all I need are the rectangular 1/8" shims (2x) that go on the front bushings and the large round 1/8" shim (1x) that goes on the back.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
terry b

That is a great story. It is nice to work on a project with someone you love. Thats the stuf that matters.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

You said at the bottom of your first post....

"Now....does anyone have a spare gas tank retaining bolt and washer I could buy or bum? "

If you need a behind the seat gas tank retainer washer and bolt then you need what Fred is talking about.... He has a picture of some of them in this for sale thread...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6629620

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-29-2014 at 06:43 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
hugger6933

I still pick my dad up every morning on the way to the shop, If not there by 6:45 or so he is calling asking why we aren't working yet. He is 84 he loves taking apart the wrecks and putting them back together. He will dive under a truck to take a bed loose in a heartbeat or grab up a bumper and start carrying it across the shop and I implore him to slow down and I say dad you have got to understand your not 70 anymore. He can work circles around me. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote