The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #51
tattooed_hillbilly

Re: Project "Homewrecker" has begun

Very cool i cant wait to see this one finished! Will look awesome next to the general!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #52
tow guys

Well, this week consisted of more interior work including carpet, the rest of the dashboard, glove box and door as well as a new interior dome light. We also wired most of the under hood circuitry in preparation of firing the motor this weekend. The gas tank has been cleaned inside and out. A new filter and float installed along with stainless fuel lines from Inline Tube. They supplied all the fuel and brake lines in stainless and they fit and look awesome! I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great product at a reasonable price.

tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #53
litew8

Cool Lets hear the story behind the autographed glove box door!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #54
tow guys

The story behind the signature is really quite simple. Last summer a buddy of mine (The fella with the General Lee), his wife and mine all went down to Dukes fest in Virginia. There, the entire living cast of The Dukes of Hazzard were on site and signing autographs. The sunvisors of the truck have the entire cast's autographs on them. I just felt the glove box should be dedicated to 'ol Cooter all by himself. It is, after all, a replica of his truck we're building here.
We got to hang with the cast for a bit and even got some of them to sit in Billy's GL for their signatures. It was a fun weekend and I look forward to taking our finished truck to the event next summer.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #55
Tinkermc

Cooter is shaping up very nicely
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #56
tow guys

Well, today was the big day! We fired up the motor for the first time since the partial rebuild almost a year ago.
We started with a no crank situation after connecting the battery so we immediately started checking for the proper voltage before and after the starter only to realize the yellow and purple wires were reversed. Swapped them out lickety split and we were back in business. Funny thing is, our assembly manual had the wiring the exact opposite of a small block chevy assembly book I had stashed away. Apparently the assembly manual is wrong...Go figure
Then we had ignition and crank but noticed a small puddle under the front passenger corner after cranking it for a few seconds. Turns out we had a bad fuel fitting coming out of the pump. Shut it down and a quick trip to Autozone fixed that dilemma.
Next up was the backfiring through the carb. Turns out we had the distributor in correctly but had the plug wires off by one spot all the way around.
Another quick fix and again, we attempted a clean start. This time it paid off!
She fired right up and had only a slight clacking noise from the rocker arms. So we adjusted them 1 at a time and they are now quiet as a mouse. A good timing light and a few adjustments of the carb and she runs like a champ now!
It was a long afternoon but before dinner we were satisfied with our work and put her away for the night.
Here'a a quick clip of the exhaust. Not the best angle for optimum sound but you get the idea. This truck is running Hooker Competition full length headers with 2 1/2" collectors in to a true dual exhaust with cherry bomb mufflers and those famous Choo Choo custom tips exiting out each side of the body at the back corners.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #57
superduty_59

Awesome build. I was also a big fan of the show when I was 8 or 10 yrs old. That and BJ and the Bear with the red and white Kenworth.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #58
litew8

Very cool I grew up watching the Dukes of Hazzard. Reading your story reminds me of it. lol Cooter fixing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow guys View Post
Well, today was the big day! We fired up the motor for the first time since the partial rebuild almost a year ago.
We started with a no crank situation after connecting the battery so we immediately started checking for the proper voltage before and after the starter only to realize the yellow and purple wires were reversed. Swapped them out lickety split and we were back in business. Funny thing is, our assembly manual had the wiring the exact opposite of a small block chevy assembly book I had stashed away. Apparently the assembly manual is wrong...Go figure
Then we had ignition and crank but noticed a small puddle under the front passenger corner after cranking it for a few seconds. Turns out we had a bad fuel fitting coming out of the pump. Shut it down and a quick trip to Autozone fixed that dilemma.
Next up was the backfiring through the carb. Turns out we had the distributor in correctly but had the plug wires off by one spot all the way around.
Another quick fix and again, we attempted a clean start. This time it paid off!
She fired right up and had only a slight clacking noise from the rocker arms. So we adjusted them 1 at a time and they are now quiet as a mouse. A good timing light and a few adjustments of the carb and she runs like a champ now!
It was a long afternoon but before dinner we were satisfied with our work and put her away for the night.
Here'a a quick clip of the exhaust. Not the best angle for optimum sound but you get the idea. This truck is running Hooker Competition full length headers with 2 1/2" collectors in to a true dual exhaust with cherry bomb mufflers and those famous Choo Choo custom tips exiting out each side of the body at the back corners.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #59
tow guys

Well, it's been quite a long time since the last update. Almost a year and a half now that I look at the date of my last post. Well, life took me on a bit of a detour for a while and the Homewrecker sat in the corner waiting it's turn patiently but I finally got back in to it in the past few weeks.
After 2 job changes and some rough times, my family and I came out the other end doing pretty good.
I have actually taken on another project for a buddy of mine in the last few months so the truck has been sitting idle for the most part but I have managed to sneak in a few late nights here and there. The windows are now in and it's waiting on door panels to button up the interior. The seat needs a recover but that'll have to wait as there are more pressing things to get to first. She still needs tires and some wiring along with a few upgrades under the hood. We're hoping after the 73 Charger project is complete and out of the way this old girl will see the road before next winter.
Sorry, no pics just yet but stay tuned.....
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #60
superduty_59

Love the build. I found out a guy I work with, his grandpa has 2 General Lee's, Roscoe's cop car and Daisey's Jeep. I told him he needs to add a Cooter tow truck. Keep the pics coming!
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote