The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
monster88

Question 85 Blazer K5

my first chevy...im starting the tune up process this weekend. its an 85 blazer k5, 350, 3:73 gears, dual exhaust, flowmasters, (no headers yet) 35 's, 3 in. suspension lift, 2 in body lift, 4 bbl...besides a few minor electrical problems (window motors, power locks, some gauges) the truck is really sound. what recomendations do you have for some good tune up parts. which are the best plugs, wires, etc....what easy performance mods can i do. i realize its not set up for speed, im basically looking for just good all around performance and reliability. its my daily driver. right now i getiing probably 8 miles to a gallon... any help is appreciated. thanks
85 Blazer K5, 350- 4bbl 3:73 gears, 3 in sus. lift, 2 in body lift, 35's

"While the Wicked stand confounded, call me with thy Saints surrounded"

"Why dont you just sit there and bleed awhile, before you taste some real pain"
monster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Betcha that you've got at least one vac leak somewhere, your timing is off, and you have plug wires that are shorting out...

Those will all lower your economy... Just get decent plug cables and plugs, the guys at the counter of the parts shop will be able to get you the right ones for your truck. Also check your filter, and your PCV filter, they're usually pretty gummed up. Don't play with the carb unless you know someone else has been goofing with it, they don't usually fall out of tune on their own if they are nice and clean
Old 01-04-2004, 03:13 AM   #3
crackajacka
Stylin

yea get some new ac delco spark plugs, some good plug wires(had some that were yellow, but now ive got some Moroso Blue Max Spiral Core ones) go buy some soft vaccum tubing and some hard if u want 2. shake the pcv valve, air filter. get a vaccum gauge and play with the carb (q-jets require a 5 dollar tool to adjust the air fuel mixture) check the timing. run some b12 in the next tank of gas. spray the inside of the carb with some carb cleaner i like b12(read on the bottle usualy says use while running) thats all i can think of right now lol.... o and the vaccum gauge will tell ya if youve got major leaks.
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:57 PM   #4
Prerunner1982

i run NGK plugs, and a decent set of 9mm wires.. also you might look into replacing the dist. cap and maybe rotor. good chance of vac leak. these things have way too many vac lines. as far as playing with the carb, you might read up alittle before trying it. or have someone help you. unless you have done it before. hard to get it to the shop if you cant get the truck to run after you messed with it.. ya know? you might also check trans filter and fluid... a dirty filter could cause the trans not to shift properly also cause poor fuel economy.
Oklahoma Roll Call

Last edited by Prerunner1982; 01-04-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote