The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
cArNaGe

Opinions on T5 install wanted

So I finally have almost all the parts for my T-5 install. It's going in a 64 C10 swb. The truck currently has a TH-350 in it. I have a complete wc camaro setup minus the master cylinder, a 93 s-10 wc, and a non wc s-10 with a cracked tailhousing.

Here is what I'm leaning towards...
Install the camaro setup with the S-10 tailhousing and make up a crossmember to be at the 17 degree's due to the tilted bellhousing.

Or should I buy a normal bellhousing, buy a slave cylinder kit and use the auto crossmember?

I still need a master cylinder and a clutch pedal. I do have a clutch pedal from a mid 70's truck but it isn't fitting to good.
cArNaGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Lugnutz65

Re: Opinions on T5 install wanted

A V8 Camaro bell with the hydraulic slave bracket will bolt right up to an L6 or a SBC. If you are committed to the S10 shifter position, then as you said, you'll need to fab a special mount for the 17 degree rotation created by the bell.

I have no experience with that hydraulic setup, so I'm gonna use a cast iron bell and factory mechanical clutch linkage.

The V8 Camaro will have nicer gearing. My L6 will not handle a 0.63 OD gear but if you have a SBC you will be fine as long as you don't have a really high rear diff.

I'd vote for the V8 Camaro T5 with a bell of your choice.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
brokenspoke

I vote for the Camero t-5 with s10 tail shaft to move shifter forward with a stock bellhousing and linkage..... BTW with a Camero T-5 you do not need the adapter

Last edited by brokenspoke; 04-29-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: addition
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
kieth

engine ?, final drive ratio of the t-5 you have, height of rear tire from ground to top of tire in inches...? I will send you a custom spreadsheet that shows speeds and how much torque you will have to the ground (just trying to make sure your truck does not fall on its face.........Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Lugnutz65

Listen to KIETH!!! Very important to make sure the gearing is appropriate. Mainly 5th gear is where you'd run into trouble. A little forethought into this will avoid a lot of wasted time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
I vote for the Camero t-5 with s10 tail shaft to move shifter forward with a stock bellhousing and linkage..... BTW with a Camero T-5 you do not need the adapter
Brokenspoke, You are correct. Please allow me to clarify for the readers who are not familiar with the T5 input shaft issue.

A V8 Camaro T5 or V8 Firebird T5 has the CORRECT length input shaft. No adapter plate needed.

An Astro van or Safari van T5 also has the CORRECT length input shaft. No adapter plate needed.

A V6 Camaro or Firebird has an input shaft that is too long and modification will be needed. It will NOT bolt right up as is. The same is true for an S10 or S15 T5.

The modification needed to make an S10 or V6 Camaro T5 fit is not difficult. In fact, I recently discovered a much slicker way to make it work that avoids the traditional adapter plate. Buy a brand new Jeep T5 IS with 10 splines and swap it in for the S10 IS. Nip off the end to the proper length. No need to lengthen the splines because they are already longer than the S10 IS splines to begin with. PLUS . . . the Jeep IS is stronger than the S10 IS. It also allows you to use the 10 spline pressure plate and clutch disc you already have (if you are still using the factory setup.

The Jeep IS swap should be covered in a separate thread. Don't want to highjack this one.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
cArNaGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
Currently I don't have the stock bellhousing and there is no linkage. So to go that route, I would need to start looking for more parts.....
Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
cArNaGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
engine ?, final drive ratio of the t-5 you have, height of rear tire from ground to top of tire in inches...? I will send you a custom spreadsheet that shows speeds and how much torque you will have to the ground (just trying to make sure your truck does not fall on its face.........Kieth
350 crate
.76 (I think)
Tires are 27-28" 275/50/15

Looking at the chart you have posted before Attachment 1247482
I think I should be good. I'm not sure If I'll keep the same size tires yet.
I scored some aluminum slotted mags.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArNaGe View Post
350 crate
.76 (I think)

If you have a 0.76 OD, then I'm thinking it's a V6 Camaro T5. Right?
Do you have the ID tag? Have you spun the shafts and counted revolutions?
If you already have it open, then just count the gear teeth on the 4th gear set, the first gear set and the 5th gear set. I'll need those numbers to tell you what gearing you have. Turning the shaft 10 times is easier, but we can get it correct either way.

Aluminum slots ROCK!
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
cArNaGe

Using your method, I got 6 1/4 turns = .63
It has 51 teeth on the cluster and 25 on the mainshaft. I didn't count the others I'll count them later.

I checked my s-10 tranny and got 7 1/4 turns. That one hasn't been opened up yet.

Bed full of Rims
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
Lugnutz65

Oooooooooooh! Niiiice! Those are the true old school slots. American . . . Western . . .???? I can't remember the name. Mine are same as the Jeep Wagoneer, but I like them. And I like the others you have there too! Awesome.

You had asked about the IS lining up with the Cluster gear. I just bought a 1995 Firebird T5 today (yeah, it has a FORD case) and the Cluster gear and the IS are NOT perfectly aligned, so that's just the way it is. Also, notice NO LINE on the 3/4 slider.

This 1995 T5 was incredibly clean inside. 3.75 1st gear and 0.72 OD. I might swap the gears into a WC Chevy case I have. Time will tell.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArNaGe View Post
350 crate
.76 (I think)

I am assuming a 275hp 350, torque is no problem......

3:36 --3:42 seems to be the correct rear axle ratio:

27.25" diameter = 62mph @ 2000 rpm

28" diameter = 65mph @ 2000rpm

will make a nice set up, be sure and check speeds if you change tire sizes...

Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote