The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
OgCoda

Dropping a 76 pictures and opinons wanted

My brother has had his trusty rusty 76 step side for a few years now and he loves it. Never let him down. So we think the time has come to static drop the truck. We have been looking at some drop kits on line and it looks like its going to be around $500-$600 bones to get the front and back dropped. He is building a chopper at the moment so quite a bit of money is being dumped into that. So the kit will have to be spread out and bought a few pieces at a time. He wants to get as low as possible without raising the bed floor or doing a huge notch... For the front, Is anyone running a 2.5 drop spindle with 3" drop springs in the front? If so does the control arm bushings scrape? I'll be running 15" wheels in the front. As for the back I figure Ill just do a standard 6" drop with a flip kit and some leaf tweaking haha.

this picture is photo shopped to get a rough idea. This is a pretty extreme drop and i don't expect to get this low without air but i feel like its a good motivational photo haha
http://www.instavillage.com/p/709115...383_104916821/
OgCoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
broey
Square

Re: Dropping a 76 pictures and opinons wanted

if you do a basically 6 inch drop in the front, your front crossmember and control arms are going to be only a couple inches off the ground.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Dropping a 76 pictures and opinons wanted

Cheap and low, I speak that language.

My 78 stepside is done about as cheaply as possible and still not be hack.

In the front a pair of 3 inch drop spindles (DJM from Summit) for 239 delivered. Then cut one coil off of the stock coil springs. Now, youre down about 5 inches in the front.

In the rear, a pair of axle saddles from Summit (13 dollars) and flip the rearend on top of the leaf springs. Now, you're down 5 inches in the rear. I reused all of the original u bolts and plates. We don't get rust here in Texas so reusing all of the hardware was an option for me.