The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #26
Bigasstrux

Re: My chevy C65 a firetruck rebuild

This was on Ebay a few years ago. I was going to buy it but somehow they severely overheated the 427 on the trip back from removing the bed. I had no way to haul it home.
Attached Images

Bigasstrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #27
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigasstrux View Post
There's still a few of these 73-90 firetrucks around, but they are hard to find. Here's a 1979 Chevy C65, with a Detroit Diesel 453T, Allison MT643 transmission, factory A/C. This truck had 2719 actual miles on it when it was hauled to my shop. The Detroit didn't even have enough use on it to leak oil yet!
Love those 4-53 Detroits. I remember when those trucks were new and thinking how cool that was back then.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #28
68panelman

Nice short wheelbase to boot!!! Looks like no mods for that 8ft bed!
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #29
68panelman

Whooops, from the last page.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #30
Bigasstrux

Here's a 1983 C7000 with the optional, (and horrible), Cummins VT-555
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #31
Bigasstrux

Here's a 1981 GMC C7000 with the optional Deutz BF6L air cooled diesel.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #32
68panelman

Quote:
Thatsa gotta be a rare one!!!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #33
Katrina/10

I had no idea an air cooled engine was ever put in one of these trucks. Interesting.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #34
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
That would be a real neat one, I used to install a much smaller air cooled Deutz into some paving equipment at an old job.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #35
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So pardon me while I steal my thread back

So the latest fiasco with this thing is I finally had enough of the excuses of Perth Amboy Spring in Perth Amboy NJ . They first took a week to allegedly get their body guy there to look at the damages and assess whether he could repair it, then they asked for me to get an estimate, so I brought my body guy down there. He came up with a figure right at $1885 with tax etc. Then they hedged whether they were going to submit it to their insurance. Finally I went in there and told them that either they pay me or submit it to their insurance or I was filing a suit in civil court. It took another week for the insurance to get the claim paid but I finally got their check. So I go to pick up the truck and the morons stored it without shutting down the batteries . These imbiciles decided to jump start it and I don't know why but they finally got it going and im driving it home and it goes three miles or so and starts popping and backfiring etc. and dies. The thing is totally dead on a two lane highway. Luckily I get the thing to the side and I had a truck following me so she parked behind me with the hazards on. Took $250 to tow it to my friends shop where we charge the batteries and find the alternator is not charging.. further examination reveals the positive pole on the back of the alternator is arcing out . So $250 for a tow and a hundred ten dollar alternator and a couple of hours labor at the shop and im no futher along than I was on March 7
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #36
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Did they use the positive pole of the alt to jump it? Did they maybe break the isolator?
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #37
truckfan

Lurk
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #38
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well the latest update is they replaced the alternator the positive pole on the alternator was completely loose almost like it heated and broke off..So now the truck is in the body shop getting the damages repaired that happened at the spring shop
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #39
HamerlyGuy

Gald to hear it!

Just as I did, stop in at the body shop every couple of days and photograph the process.
HamerlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #40
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

The body shop owner and myself are good friends Im there almost daily and I actually did some of the grinding on it. I have the extra fenders for my El camino there so ive also been cutting and welding in some patch panels for those and Sues mustang is getting its spring detail and touch up

I also decided to sign up for a site which uses classic vehicles in movies and video shoots . I will not let anyone drive my vehicles, but my buddy supplied some vehicles to the movie American Gangster back in the day and he made some nice money so I figured this truck and the others should make me some money too lol lets see if this pans out or not.

by the way, Eric, welcome to the board

I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 04-11-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
truckfan

here is another one for someone. 9900 miles. Allison Auto and A/C
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...=6&acctid=5689
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #42
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So my body guy did an awesome job on the body work. Turns out there was a little more damages than we thought as one of the walls was slightly bend in between the boxes but it was straightened out. Now we have to figure out what to do about the inside of the boxes to paint those
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #43
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well we did up the cabinets and got done with it after the accident we painted the cabinets inside with rustoleum door paint which is matte white paint. We then got straight black spatter and did the spatter to it. I found rubber runner in home depot that I made mats for the cabinet shelves and floors.
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #44
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So now I get the truck started and go home and shes overheating bad I also noticed she was leaking coolant out of the lower large hose port on the right side of the truck. On top of the motor in between sections of the upper hose is a pump of sorts I found that this goes to the switch on the left side of the truck and its for some kind of cooler for the Waterous pump that pumps for the fire department. I temporarily removed the lines from that pump on the top of the motor and teed off the lines to keep crud out of there I put plugs into the holes on the pump so now that pump thing is not being cooled by the water.. that is a job for another day.
I found out that a heater hose was leaking and as a result of the truck being overheated it is leaking out around the upper part of the left radiator tank. It looks like tomorrow I will be removing the radiator to see if that can be repaired but im leaning towards selling the truck. It is on CL as we speak
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!