The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
JrJc66

trouble bleeding brakes on 66 after replacing lines and changing to duel Master cyl

I replaced all the brake lines and hoses as well as switched out the single master cylinder to a duel master cylinder. Well I had no trouble bleeding out the rear brakes but the fronts are a different story. Brake peddle will only go half way to the floor even with a front bleeder open. The fluid in the reservoir has not moved at all. What could be causing this? Could the front wheel cylinders be bad? As a quick background, I bought the truck last summer with a broken brake line which is why I decided to do the duel MS swap. I have yet to have the truck on the road. Supposedly all brake parts within the drums are newer. I haven't taken any drums off the verify. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
JrJc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
65CowboyCaddy

Re: trouble bleeding brakes on 66 after replacing lines and changing to duel Master c

Was master cylinder bench bled? Try jacking the rear end way up in the air, this will place any air in master cylinder to the rear of the master ready to be burp. Take cover off reservoir, press pedal gently several times look for bubbles.
65CowboyCaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
KJSR

Re: trouble bleeding brakes on 66 after replacing lines and changing to duel Master c

Make your drum brakes are adjusted tight and then try to bleed.
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
T and S

I would definitely remove the drums and do an inspection to make sure every thing is up to snuff. Almost sounds to me like that is where the problem may lie.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 AM   #5
luvbowties

Question Re: trouble bleeding brakes on 66 after replacing lines and changing to duel Master c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJc66 View Post
I replaced all the brake lines and hoses as well as switched out the single master cylinder to a duel master cylinder. Well I had no trouble bleeding out the rear brakes but the fronts are a different story. Brake peddle will only go half way to the floor even with a front bleeder open. The fluid in the reservoir has not moved at all. What could be causing this? Could the front wheel cylinders be bad? As a quick background, I bought the truck last summer with a broken brake line which is why I decided to do the duel MS swap. I have yet to have the truck on the road. Supposedly all brake parts within the drums are newer. I haven't taken any drums off the verify. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
What does pedal feel like with all bleeders closed? Do you have brakes on front and rear? Maybe your brakes are okay. Isn't the whole purpose of dual brakes to allow you to have brakes(via at least partial pedal) even if fluid line blows out on one end?--and this scenario is what you are simulating with rears bled and adjusted AND with a front port open.

Try it the other way: when u pump up brakes and hold, how far down does pedal go when a rear port is opened? This, again, simulates a fluid line blown out on one end--but opposite end this time.

EXACTLY what master cylinder did you use?

Also, definitely follow T and S's reply
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 05-15-2014 at 02:14 AM. Reason: added last sentence
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote