The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
familyfast64

Angry goodness gracious

Have you ever had this happen?
On Saturday I took the truck out of town to a car show and when leaving I noticed it was suddenly making a light grinding noise on my front passenger brake or wheel. I knew my brake pads were basically new but that's what it sounded like. I pulled over a couple times to touch the rotor and rim and they didn't seem any hotter. The next couple days I rode my motorcycle knowing I needed to check it out. Well today I needed to run to town so against my better judgement I fired her up and left. The noise was still there and almost seemed to come and go. Again I touched my rotor and rim with no obvious sign of damage or heat. I tried to tell myself it was just some rock or something and it would work its way out... Big mistake. Soon as I got home I pulled the wheel and found this... Definitely a first for me, has this happened to you?
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
familyfast64

Re: goodness gracious

I'm hoping the rim holds up cause I can't afford to replace it right now. It doesn't seem very deep but that thin backing plate sure did a number on the aluminum. I replaced the pads on that side and was going to leave the other side cause like I said they were actually thicker than the new ones I just put on, like new, but prolly years old I guess. I don't want it to happen to the other side too tho.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
hotrod66

i have seen something similar on my friends truck the lower caliper bolt worked its way loose and every time she hit the brake the caliper ground into the wheel! glad you caught yours before you ground the wheel in 2. her's almost did and had to get a new wheel.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
FetchMeAPepsi

On the wheel, I've seen way worse on working truck wheels and they've been running for years so I doubt you'll have a failure (usual disclaimer here). But that slipping shim, wow. That's a new one! Glad you got it figured out and I see you put some goop on it to keep it put this time. Was it bent or broken anywhere?
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
familyfast64

Yeah it has and had brake grease, no it wasn't broken but they weren't rivited like most I've seen. Maybe they were just cheap Idk, but the rim is definitely sketchy. When you only have what 3/16- 5/16? of an inch of rim and half that thickness gets scrapped away your left with... Sketchy. It's already a pretty narrow rim as well on a heavy front end. No seat belts, Ugghh whatever. Well see, I wish I knew the brand of the pads. Looks like that thin backing was just glued on.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
gimmy 64

i had something similar happen on my 89 chevy truck. did not hurt rim . the brake lining just came off not to old of brakes either. brakes fine one minute and the next grinding rivets on the rotor.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfast64 View Post
Yeah it has and had brake grease, no it wasn't broken but they weren't rivited like most I've seen. Maybe they were just cheap Idk, but the rim is definitely sketchy. When you only have what 3/16- 5/16? of an inch of rim and half that thickness gets scrapped away your left with... Sketchy. It's already a pretty narrow rim as well on a heavy front end. No seat belts, Ugghh whatever. Well see, I wish I knew the brand of the pads. Looks like that thin backing was just glued on.
Ahh, it's grease. They make some stuff called "stop squeak" that looks similar and might hold it together better. It's a silicone product.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #8
'63GENIII

If that was the backing of the pad, I could see an installation error but it does look as if the brake lining came "unglued" and slid out. If you just bought them, I'd be going back to wherever you got them and talking to someone about it. Brake parts are no place to have a acceptable failure rate. That is the side that you replaced recently right?

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 AM   #9
66LSx

if your willing to demount the tire.... bring the rim to a shop somewhere with a big enough micrometer and take a peak at how much you lost on rim material. (compare ground down vs. untouched areas)

maybe you are okay (maybe a re-balance?)

unfortunately it'll be pretty tough to place blame on the brake pad manufacturer if theres glue present... as they'll have no proof on install methods used... (a good chunk of people doing brake changes indeed have no idea what their doing, fail to clean, use caliper grease, and on many occasions utilize the BFH as a common tool in delicate areas)
2012 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4x4 CCSB
66LSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
63burban
Chevy addict

Looks like the pad coming off, there are break-in rules that are usually discarded.
Years ago I had a 1977 Chevy 4x4 in my shop that the owner complained that the brakes pulled to the right. I pulled the right front wheel and everything was fine, I pulled the left front wheel and the rotor was completely wore through to the fins and then wore off the hub, the caliper was holding what was left of the rotor.
I also had a 90s Dodge Dynasty that was hit in the right front fender. Looking the car over we found that the left front brake rotor was gone and there was a block of wood zip tied into the caliper in place of the rotor. The car was about 4 years old.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack but this all brought back memories of lower intelligent life forms.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Looks like the pad coming off, there are break-in rules that are usually discarded.
Years ago I had a 1977 Chevy 4x4 in my shop that the owner complained that the brakes pulled to the right. I pulled the right front wheel and everything was fine, I pulled the left front wheel and the rotor was completely wore through to the fins and then wore off the hub, the caliper was holding what was left of the rotor.
I also had a 90s Dodge Dynasty that was hit in the right front fender. Looking the car over we found that the left front brake rotor was gone and there was a block of wood zip tied into the caliper in place of the rotor. The car was about 4 years old.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack but this all brought back memories of lower intelligent life forms.
Yep, and "...it just started doing that", too.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfast64 View Post
Looks like that thin backing was just glued on.
It is.

It's a laminated noise insulator and doesn't affect the braking performance (...well - assuming it stays in place). Its function is to attenuate brake squeal.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
Jeff La

You need to go back to whomever you bought the pads from. You could have the rim welded and cut back down in a lathe but then you would probably get some discoloration unless it's where it can't be seen.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #14
donthekawguy

You should call some wheel repair places. They can put it on a machine and weld it up. Same machine they use when putting together two piece wheels.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:42 AM   #15
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks for the education, sorry about the result. I've never seen that particular failure before.