The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
cheyenne10

2nd try at HEALTH and SAFETY

I mistakenly posted on parts board a New Years resolution for health and got some poo-poos. So I wil try again on here. Board member sevt-chevelle has been sharing some intersting welding and painting safety advise which much was new to me and I'm sure many board members. As hobbiests we don't always get the best advise and training in the work we attempt on our cars. I would like to see a seperate section on board for exchange of safety advise and tips.

Please post your support of this and any feedback you have.
For example who uses fresh-air respirator when painting?

See this like sevt-chevelle on team chevelle board. Very eye-opening reading.

http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/for...=3;t=008203;p=

Last edited by cheyenne10; 01-06-2004 at 02:46 AM.
cheyenne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Good luck on this topic!

The most dangerous things people do to themselves is longterm,
cumulative type damage, i.e. hearing loss, lung damage from smoking, chemicals, RMT, liver damage from drinking, etc. The key is training and getting folks to believe that the hazards are real.

Are you looking for examples, safe practices, safety equipment recommendations, or something else?

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
cheyenne10

all of the above

Jim;
Those are very good examples of what we all should be reading about or aware of. If everyone has a couple of minutes read the complete link from chevelle board. Sounds like the guys over there are startng to recognize the reality of some of these dangers. I am definitly shopping for breathing masks and if I get a wirefeed welder a welding mask to fit under helmet too. Wish those had been on my Chrsitmas list. I want to live a long and enjoyabe life and I think my family would appriciate that too. Who wants to care for someone else before they have to. A local highly regarded bodyman died a few months ago younger than 55. I wonder if he died of health problems related to his trade?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Thank's for the informative reading I am alway's wearing saftey stuff and alway's have I am only 28 and would like to see my children grow ....SAFTEY FIRST..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I read on ColoradoK5 a post about a guy whose buddy was changing a fuel filter from below the vehicle and had a halogen work light down with him, gas hit the halogen light and ignited - I don't believe the guy was injured but definitely a safety issue to keep in mind - those lights can burn you easy and looks like they can ignite fuel.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I learnt my lesson a couple of years ago when I got a load of grit embedded in the surface of my eye doing some construction work on my mother-in-laws 400 year old stone cottage, had to get it dugout with a hypodermic needle by a nice eye doctor with very steady hands. Now I always wear eye protection and ear protection when grinding (although the damage may already be done, too many loud rock concerts when younger!). I am probably a little lax in the lung protection area (but don't spray paint yet) but when you wear glasses the damn things always seem to steam up with a mask on.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission

Last edited by Lippyp; 01-06-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
cheyenne10

rattle can paint

I think we all use rattle can paint too. I did a kids school project with my wife once painting straw hats. We used about 8 cans of paint and it was outside but I remember the light headed and short breath thing. I was never a runner but I like to hike the hills.

We need good recomendations of products that others think or know to work and maybe even sources to buy from. I read all this and it is great but getting on my shopping list and going and buying it is another thing.

Maybe board vendors should hook up with a safety supply company and sell items for specific tasks or protections. I would buy glasses, resporators, welding helmets, etc. Heck I even need good supplier of a 110v wire feed welder. My time is limited and shopping takes time (not that thats not fun!!)