The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2002, 10:24 PM   #1
sixty8chev
The Sauz

Question 6 bolt oem disc conversion

I was just wondering if it was possible to convert my 68 to front discs using used or oem parts
I've read a couple of articles on the switch to five bolts and it seems pretty straight forward but I've got six bolt billet wheels i really like and want ot keep.
I've seen the kits on the chevy duty page but they run around 650 bucks and that translates to aboot 1000 canadian so i was hopin i could somehow use the brakes off a heavy half or somethin
if anybody knows a cheaper way that'd be great
01 Sierra - Daily Driver (for now)
sixty8chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 10:41 PM   #2
chevymad

You can use all 72 or newer parts. Just keep them all from the same year. But you'll have to order a set of six lug rotors aftermarket. I paid about $180 for mine. They slip right on 72up spindles.

70 gmc changed to 67/8 chevy, 454 with voodoo cam, th400, all 74 running gear.. in progress
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:55 AM   #3
GMCPaul

Check out our kits. http://www.gmcpauls.com/Brakes&Steering.htm
We now also offer the rotor & hub as a assembly for 6 lug at a competitive price.
GMCPaul

------------------
Online Catalog for-GMCPauls Truck Parts.com
67 LWB GMC SuperCustom Fleetside
67 LWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Fleetside
67 SWB Chevy CST Fleetside
67 LWB Chevy CST Fleet
67 SWB Chevy Stepside
67 LWB Chevy Stepside
68 2wd Chevy 1/2 t. Panel
68 Chevy Panel 1/2Ton 4X4
68 LWB Chevy Fleet 4X4
69 SWB Chevy Stepside
71 GMC Suburban 402/400
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
Nope not a typo 2-72 Camper Specials
and no they are NOT FOR SALE MINE MINE MINE and we accept ALL 67 Refugees Looking For More Never Enough!!!

GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 02:04 AM   #4
primer67
Account Suspended

GMC Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the listing in brakes and steering, the 6 lug disk conversion is like 218.00 -- is that everything that I need to convert to 6 lug 7/16 bolt disk? do I need to get a proportioning valve ? if this is everything, I would be so stoked - I could finally blow the dust off the 454 and actually stop! you da man!
primer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 02:46 AM   #5
GMCPaul

No as a 67 owner you require the Disc Conversion Kit $449.90, the disc kit only works on 71 up spindles, we offer it as just a disc kit so if you decide to use junk yard spindles off a 71 or later or want to buy spindles one time and disc kit another you can do so. If you go the 71 later route though you have to use 71 and later steering parts and ball joints, our complete conversion kit with standard or drop spindles uses all stock ball joints and steering parts. We do not include dust shields in the kit so if you want rotors showing for that custom look you haven't bought a extra part and if you want to hide the rotors we do offer the dust shield also.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 09:41 AM   #6
Custom 68

Talking

I just bought this kit from Paul and installed it. Took my time and took everything off the front cleaned and painted. Also replaced ball joints etc. 2 1/2 drop spindles with stock spring on front and 4 inch drop in rear. The project went really well. Just alot of dirt and grime. I only drove it acouple of times I am now having battery/starter problems but they work great. I bought an adjustable valve / porortioning valve but have not installed it. I may not need to.

Paul I thought you said this should go on the front? Is this correct? Mine seems to need it on the rear more it will slightly lock the rear under extreme braking but it is not bad at all and may not even install it. I will know more as I drive it.

I would really recomend this stuff. It did not come with any instructions. You dont need them except for the torque values. If you do this and need these drop me an e-mail I got mine out of Clasic truck mag they just did the same thing.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 02:31 AM   #7
primer67
Account Suspended

I'm gonna need some help on this conversion.
actually, I just need to concentrate on finding a good 6 lug axle for a '67 here in Phoenix, so as I can drive on the freeway without bouncing around. - I found one, but it had cracked splines. anybody?
primer67 is offline   Reply With Quote