The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #26
bowcoffin

Re: New to me '68 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamCo View Post
There are multiple holes in the floor pan, I'm just gonna leave it be until I can afford to stick a lot of money into this truck, there's nothing too bad or hazardous so I'll let it be.
And I plan on keeping the wood, it'll be a little more work to restore but I think it looks a lot cooler.
Good plan! Yeah the floor boards arent too bad as long as you keep an eye out... the last thing you want to do is have to redo a whole floorboard when you could have just done a small section! Sounds like you have great plans and an awesome truck!
bowcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #27
aminal

If all your looking to do is stop the noise just for the short term, sand away what rust you can with a wire wheel and a die grinder. make a filler panel out of some thin sheet and use seam sealer to bond it in place. Just for short term, no need to go drilling holse and getting pop rivets as you often rivet beyond the area of a replacement panel. no rivets, no screws, clean it, prime is, and fill the hole and attache your home made panel with seam sealer.
I personally would just tear it down and pull out a cutter and get some rockers and cab corners on order, but in a pinch to keep the noise and debris out, thats all i can say because i wouldnt want you to cut away like that for nothing, only having to do it proper afterwards.

It looks a lot better than the one i got today, man she looks great, even better some numbskull didnt cut the dash for his double din.
aminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #28
c20pickup

Quote:
I can take whatever I want off the tbi truck, I ran it in the demo derby at the local racetrack last year, so the only useable stuff left is the drivetrain lol. But yeah I'll definitely be doing a mild rebuild of the motor while it's out, just to freshen it up. Cam and headers are both possibilities, any suggestions on a good cam that would work well?
What are your plans with the truck? Imrunning a crane 274 in my fresh 350, and its operating range is 2200-6500rpm, which is to high for many people. Being you have mechanical brakes, and a stick, vacuum wont be of much concern. Alot of guys run the comp 268xe and ive never heard anything but good about it, seems like a nice driver/all around cam. That tbi engine may have roller lifters (not sure, i dont know all the specs on the newer motors) but cams are available for rollers. Best thing to do is flip open a summit or jegs catalog and start looking at different cams, pick a few you like and start asking around what people think of them, i got alot of engine help from the guys hear on the board.
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #29
SpamCo

Plans are just to have a reliable well running weekend cruiser to drive around town. So nothing too drasticbut it would be fun to have a little power to play with.
SpamCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #30
SpamCo

I should add that I have very limited knowledge of cams, and what the differences in lift, separation, and duration affect. So any recommendations would be much appreciated as I really don't have a good idea of what I should be looking for
SpamCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #31
c20pickup

Quote:
I should add that I have very limited knowledge of cams, and what the differences in lift, separation, and duration affect. So any recommendations would be much appreciated as I really don't have a good idea of what I should be looking for
Im not the best on that subject either, but i can try to help as much as i can. Other board members are crazy knowledgable with cams and engines in general. Someone told me awhile ago that a good rule pf thumb when choosing a street cam is to pick out a cam you like, then choose one that is a size or two smaller. Maybe start a thread in the engines and drivetrains section about which cam to choose. Alot of helpful guys over there!! Just remember, dont overcam hour engine. Good luck!
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote