The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

Big Block Fuel Filter Bubbling Fuel, What The ???

I've got a 1973 C20 454, this morning I decided to pop the hood just to check things out and when I fired it up the fuel in the clear fuel filter was bubbling. It was running ok so I took it for a 5 mile drive and it was still bubbling and still running fine. I'm assuming I've got air getting into the fuel line or fuel pump some how some where, is this a common thing, has anyone seen this before or does things like this only happen to my truck, lol?
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

Re: Big Block Fuel Filter Bubbling Fuel, What The ???

From my experience on a variety of vehicles and equipment,fuel filters always have a certain amount of air space while the engine is running, I've noticed it on everything from big racors on 18L cat diesels to clear inline filters on 1cyl generator motors and dirt bikes to automotive engines.

The first time I ever noticed it I was positive something was wrong in the fuel system and wasted a bunch of time trying to fix the problem all the while the engine was performing fine.

This being said I haven't seen yours running and maybe there is a problem. Impossible to say without laying my hands an eyes on it.

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Tdubbyount

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts starving the carb. My little inline filter sometimes has air in it, sometimes it does not.

1957 Chevy long stepper...not sure what I'm doing with that one yet. Awaiting funds I suppose.
Tdubbyount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
savatreatabvr

Found the problem! The hose on top of my passenger side fuel tank was leaking right where the clamp was. Now my next challenge is lowering the fuel tank to replace the hose. I looked online to find a step by step procedure on how to remove the fuel tank but failed to find anything, has anyone faced this challenge before?
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

Undo the strap brackets from the frame and lower carefully with a floor jack until there's just enough room to get your arm up there and undo the wires and hose clamps. Use new longer fuel line when you re-assemble so you don't lose your mind trying to get the hoses back onto the sender

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote