The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
GFY

Edited by Forum Staff

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 05-24-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
capnduane

Re: Finally complete, thinking about selling my 55 4x4

Looks like my truck on steroids! Beautiful! I see nicely restored trucks get high dollar bids on Ebay, don't know how many meet the reserve and sell though. I think if I wanted to sell mine, I would try to come up with a price that would move the truck. Probably never get all your own labor costs out, but I would have a hard time not getting a fair amount recouped. I have people want to buy mine all the time, or at least they want to know if it is for sale. Don't know how many are just tire kickers? I will be the first of many to say, Don't sell, keep that beauty! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
mr48chev

Ebay with a high reserve is usually much less expensive than a three day add in a the local paper and you get a tone of exposure for your money. There are also Ebay classifieds that i have seen a couple of local OT rigs on but forget to check. You would have to
check out how that works though.
Hotrodhotline.com has a good track record and they seem to attract more serious buyers. Their service isn't cheap though.

Craigslist isn't a lost cause though as looked over a local truck for a guy from PA last month discovering it belonged to a couple I have known for a long time. Solid truck too. Then there is always taking it to a close by big show. You have to be a bit discrete with your for sale sign at some of them but people do go to them looking for enthusiast vehicles.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
OrrieG

Nice truck but unfortunately very seldom do you get out of them what you put in. Probably the raw parts cost but never the labor. Go to ebay and look at the completed SOLD auctions, there are some nice trucks in the 8-12K range. One current 4wd auction has a starting bid price of 7400 with a reserve.

Having said that, I talked to my insurance agent a couple of years ago to make sure I could get a reasonable insured agreed value policy. I told him I wanted to insure it for $25K when it done, he said no issue. Could I sell it for that, who knows, but I went into this knowing I was not building to sell, but to keep and drive.

Craigslist seems to attract a lot of bottom feeders, but I see lots of nice fairly prices rigs on our local one. Like Mr48 said ebay with a low starting price and reserve will give you an idea of the national or even international market. You might look at racing junk too, they have a for sale section for non-racing rods.

I would also caution you to very careful weigh selling it. I got my truck in 76 and hung on to it. But along the way there have been a couple of cars (my 57 street racer I had when I was drafted and my 41 sedan I sold to get the 64) I really wish I would have kept. One I had a lot of time and memories in, the other I looked a long time to find a good original only to flip it a couple of years later regretting it as I watched it drive away.

Good luck which ever way you go.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
GFY

Thanks for the replies all. I know you don't get good Return On Investment on this type of project. I'll not likely gets parts cost back, much less labor/time. I'm deep into the truck $ wise, and know that I'll never see that money again.
I'm just not using the truck enough. I have a sports car that 's a lot more fun to drive, and I'm not driving it enough either.
I'm still in the "thinking about it" phase. I do really like it, just not in love with it like I was in the past. If I did sell it, I'd probably regret it (as I have every vehicle I've ever sold)
Has anyone used high end consignment shops to sell "custom" vehicles?
Thanks again for all the input!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
curmudgeon

I also want to add that you have a beautiful truck and that appears a true labor of love. Having had modified vehilces my whole life, the more specalized the modifications the narrower the market. Living just north of you, with our higher than average gas prices that will be a tough sell in the Bay Area. I see trucks like yours more common when I vist relatives in Texas, or even the more rural areas of Calif. Four wheeling is very popluar in San Diego, where, (heaven forbid) some buyer might actually want to off-road this beauty. Closer to home, try marketing in the Sacramento area, (if my brother-in-law and his buddies are any indication), 4x4's, especially non-off road ones (i.e. "mall crawlers") are more in demand.

Although my vote is to keep it, especially since it's just finished, I understand the need to move on. How about, keeping the frame and swapping the body to a stock frame for a different look?

However, good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
OrrieG

My BIL lives up in the Sierra Nevada foot hills east of Sacremento and when we visit I see plenty of 4wd's there. Also N. CA, the cash crop guys might need it too!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
meter swinger

Odds are your best bet dollar wise is an overseas buyer and really good pics. A friend of mine sells on consignement for people as a side business. I loaded up an SD card with around 350 pics for him and maybe 50 were quality, but im a backyard shooter and cheap (free).
This 62 impala went to europe.
Love your truck by the way. How is the ride with the (35"?) tires?
Attached Images

Closed Thread