The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
6772king

Help Recovering Seats!!!

just wondering if any one hade any advice on this??? the wife(badblazerbabe) got me new seat covers for my blazer and I'm not real sure on this... there was metal rods on the edges of the old seat covers??? do you put these in the new covers??? help!!!! also what is this?? did some blazers come without a console so the put this on the side for the seatbelt??? my other set of buckets doesn't have them I'll have to post the pic latter I guess, the board wont let me????? thanks Sean
71 chevy blazer 4x4 454
69 chevy longhorn 5.9l cummins
72 chevy 400 2wd custom camper
67 chevy lwb 4x4 454-in pieces
67 chevy panel soon 4x4-400
67 gmc dump 4x4 1 ton-305 WTF!!
72 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 burb 350
70 chevy panel 2wd 302 5 speed tko

"THERE IS NO REPLACMENT FOR DISPLACMENT"!!!!!!!
6772king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
Alex Hayley

Yes...you use the original metal rods. Just insert them into the new covers. Don't take them ALL out of the old covers at once. Do one rod at a time so you know which rod goes where.
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
meathead95
computer illiterate

my blazer was ordered without a console so it had little plastic things on the sides of the seats for the seatbelts
Old 01-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

It is TOTALLY up to you, but I got new seat covers for my blazer and I TRIED to put the new ones on....after about 3 hours of FRUSTRATION and decieding even if I did figure it out it would look like crap I decieded to have an upholsterer do the work. I am glad I did, because I found out that I needed new foam to make the covers fit right. I spent $125 a seat to get new foam and have him recover them, but I think it was well worth the money. I bet if I did it then it wouldn't look as good. If you are wanting show quality I would hire it out, but just a daily driver may not be a bad way to go. BTW those hogrings are a bad deal to mess with too!

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
zyggy72
Can't kick the addiction!

I recovered my bench seat and I don't see that a bench seat would be much different. I unbolted the back from the rest of the seat. Removed the original hog rings and the seat covers and marked where I had to place the new hog rings. One at a time remove the metal rods out of the old seat cover and put them in the new one. I added a small layer of foam to both the seat and the back. Then centered the new covers and check for proper alignment. Start by attaching the front of the cover to the seat and on the back, start by attaching the top of the cover to the seat back. Once the front and top of the seat and seat back are attached, flip them over so that the back where you attach the hog rings is facing up. This is gonna sound kind of funny but at this point put your body weight (sit or kneel) on the up-side-down seat to compress the foam and make it easier to work the seat cover. Now apply the hog rings to the opposite side you have already done and work your way from the center out equally on both sides till you meet what you already did. Do the same for the seat back. Keep in mind how the original seat cover was attached, if you don't you may end up screwing up the new seat cover pretty bad.
This is how I did mine and it came out pretty good and yes, it did take a few hours. Whether or not you want to do it yourself or have someone else do it is up to you but make that descision before you get too deep into it.
Sorry for such a long post, just my experience.
zyggy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Huck

We (Jamie72 + his love muffin) and i just did a set of Blazer buckets. They are more difficult then a bench due to the center section needing to be attached thru the seat and backrest which is not required on bench seats. It took us about 3 hours each seat. You will need to keep all the metal rods as well as the horseshoe shaped metal rods that make up the form for the center sections. They will all be reused. You will also need to capture the double paperclip type fasteners that go thru the seat and backrest foam for aligning the center sections. If they are gone, you can replace them with cord. If you can find a shop to do this for $100. a seat, might be worth it as it ain't fun without beer and it was too cold here for brew!!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
bebop52

seats

I watched a friend of mine do a set a couple months back.The foam in his was excellent but the rods were rusted.He took wire coat hangers and made new ones.It took about 2hrs per seat and they look good as new.He did already have the old covers off and he has done several sets before.
bebop52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 04:23 AM   #8
Jemost 72
Southern Bowties

Brothers website has an excellent step-by-step instruction page with pictures.