The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
grovmister

72 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wh Suspension Mods

I have a 1 owner 72 Chevy C10, 2 wheel drive, LWB truck, 74K mi., 350-350, with rear Leaf springs and want to slam it 5/4 or 6/4. I am needing info on:
1. How low can I go in the rear without notching the frame?
2. I want to run Corvette Style Rallys 15X8 with standard metal derby caps, with 275/60 15 on rear and 245/60 15 on front.
3. What is the best combination of drop and the best way to achieve this drop, and any problems or concerns?
4. What venders carry the best parts at the best price?
5. Has anyone bought Corvette Style Rallys from any venders on ebay and if so what was the quality like?

6. What vender carries the best chrome bumpers front and rear?
7. Who has the best hidden receiver hitch setup?
8. Who has the best tach conversion setup?
9. What is the best way to add a tilt collume?

**Any readers with any of the above used parts please let me Know!!!

Love this board and am looking forward to being an active member!!

55 Ford 1/2 ton lowrider
36 Ford Hot rod Coupe
76 Chevy 1 ton Dailey Driver

Last edited by grovmister; 01-06-2004 at 04:24 PM.
grovmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
cheyenne10

WELCOME

1st off welcome to the boards from well... Eugene!! Feel free to get active!! We all can benefit from each others experiences.

For many answers you can refer to ECE website
http://www.earlyclassic.com/

I think that most members say 6" in rear is possible without c-notch. WIth leafs I think you use the 4" lowered spring and a 1.5" lowering shackle combo. Not sure of your tire combo with 6" lowering. I know some board members run into rubbing problems at some height. I think most get away with many tires sizes with 4" in rear. As far as front lowering you can run the 2.5" lowered spindles with stock springs or lowered springs in different increments. Many people run a 2.5" drop spindle in front with 4" lowered springs in rear. or go the next step at 2.5 spindles + 1.5" springs in front and 6" in rear.

We have many board vendors with some awesome products, see home page on boards for list of vendors. Most offer all the suspension parts as well as good chrome bumpers, etc. Often some of these parts are same manufacturer so choice of vendor comes down to service and price. There is more than one manufacturer of bumpers so talk with the vendors.

Again all vendors carry tach connversions or you can buy a complete used or reconditioned gage setup.

Hidden hitch I know ECE has very nice one. It may interfere with stock tire carrier.

As for tilt columns again vendors sell very good rebuilt ones or you can shop for used one. Some people buy the Van version which is real similar but needs some modifications to work. We are all on budgets but I would consider a rebuilt column for $375 +/- vs. well used one for $225+/- or van one needing converison for $75-$150. As for installation it is a pretty easy bolt in.

Tach dash should also be fairly quick swap. I am not familiar with buying conversion kit and adding to dash but I will probably do that soon as I have a truck myself that I want to use original speedo with. If your truck is the 75K original you should do the same. I talked with friend the other day and he indicated it was easy after you do one once or twice.

Corvette ralleys are 1 of my favorites too.

Look forward to meeting you. Not to many members I know of locally. email me direct and we can talk more. cheyennek20@comcast.net

take care.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:40 AM   #3
cheyenne10

TTT

Aint this weather great. this ice thing is real unusual around here. Well it should warm up about 25° tomorrow.

Anyone else have some good advise for new member. This is a good way to introduce yours selves vendors.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to the board from frozen central ohio.
Can't help too much on most of those questions, but the van tilts can be had in plenty of junk yards, and I wouldn't pay more than 40 bucks for them. If one yard wants too much, you will find one next week in that other yard that you shoulda gone to in the first place.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:24 AM   #5
PR454SS

I'm not sure on alot of tire info but I'm running 275/60 VR17 on the back with a 5" drop and I've not had any issues.

72SWB 350/350TH, 3500stall,525 lift cam 3:73 posi. Sold!
69LWB Flatbed 350/Super T-10, ported/polished 481 heads, 480 lift cam.
78SWB 468/400TH, ported/polished Alum. heads, 3:42 posi, 3000 stall on 17x8 and 18x9.5's
77 Jeep CJ-5 304V8 fiberglass body on 36" Ground Hawgs
PR454SS is offline   Reply With Quote