The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
dfosh

Getting doors to latch

I have a 51 that I have put the doors back on and I can't get them to latch when shut. I have new latches strikers and weather stripping. I have read everything I could find about adjusting but I haven't had any luck. thanks for any help'
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
imjeff

Re: Getting doors to latch

Are the latches open? Sometimes they get closed and you have to push the handle to open them.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
dfosh

Yes their open . I have worked on these for two days
Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
OrrieG

If they are adjusted right usually the seals are keeping them from going in far enough for the second latch "click", its a two step process. You can push in and hear the first click and think its there, but it need about another 3/16 - 1/4 inch for the latch to rotate a little more and fully catch the part on the jamb. I know you have worked on them for two days but make sure you do not have the jamb part switched from side to side.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Joe Pass

A while back I replaced my door striker plates with new old stock ones found on Ebay. I couldn't believe the difference how well it shut over the off-shore repo ones available. No more slamming my truck door, just clicks like it should. I compared them both and and I didn't see any real difference other than the the striker ramp on the original ones was a bit smaller. My seals are new and hold the door a bit out of the jamb so I thought that was the issue at first. My point is that a simple part caused a lot of frustration and thought maybe you might have a similar issue....I feel you pain
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
dfosh

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about having the strikers switched? I have the on the correct side. Can you explain a little more ? I did have to switch weather stripping on the doors and go with a thinner one . It will not catch the lock in the striker plate as if it is not going in deep enough . The door looks as if it is aligned good without the striker on it is flush and lines look good .
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Joe Pass

That is what I had issues with is that the door to be flush, I had to SLAM it to latch completely. Otherwise If I had the door striker adjusted out a little it shut better but the door wasn't flush (ajar). It didn't look good and the seal didn't cause the issue like I thought it had.
I just happened to buy Rt. and Lt. NOS strikers on a whim and it was like night and day shutting it.
My conclusion was that the striker ramp shape on the NOS striker wasn't as large for a lack of better description on the aftermarket one. The NOS striker allowed that door latch to click over the striker paw quicker, thus latching properly. I was able to adjust the door in where it should be. Again I hope this helps and my description is understandable.
Do you have any of the old parts to try ?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
dfosh

Yes I have the old strikers . Same problem with new and old .
Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Joe Pass

Well....Have you pulled the striker off and tried to engage it into the door latch by hand just to see if engagement is possible.? My only other thought would be that you have the wrong year striker or latch miss-matched. I think the change was 47-51 is one style and then 52 to 59 were another but look similar....
any pictures?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
msaintg

I had the same problem with repop latches, they would only go 'one' click. The cam on the repop latches don't have any groves on them, so they just keep slipping instead of locking. I ended up replacing everything with bear claw latches. I talk about in on page 11 of my build thread
Attached Images

Last edited by msaintg; 05-23-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add pic
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
Joe Pass

Frustrating.....SH*T
Old 05-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
dfosh

I finally got theses to shut. Sad thing is I'm not to sure what fixed it. . I had tried all the things that were suggested before I posted. Here are some things I did I went back to the stock striker .I took door off and reinstalled weather stripping made sure doors were lined up and changed a screw on inside of door that holds the handle. I was using a counter sunk oval head and I changed to a flathead because I thought the striker was hitting it . I just kept trying different things. Sorry this is not much help but thanks for all the replies .
Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
Joe Pass

We all experience this kind of "What the Hell" situation... Its all part of the love for the hobby.
Glad it worked out for you.