The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
LJS30

Fuel Flow Issues

While working today my 69 C-10 sputtered and wouldn't start. I checked fuel flow to the carb and as suspected there was none. So I assumed it was a filter and pump issue so I bought a new filter and pump and still nothing. I checked to see if any flow was going straight from the pump to carb and nothing. In fact there doesn't seem to be any fuel coming from the tank. Should I be thinking of a clogged filter in the tank?
LJS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
sboris

Re: Fuel Flow Issues

If it's an original tank there is a screen type filter on the end of the pick up line that could have sucked rust or something else to it possibly.. I've heard of even the screen itself deteriorating. Oh, and make sure your gas gauge is working.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
LJS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
If it's an original tank there is a screen type filter on the end of the pick up line that could have sucked rust or something else to it possibly.. I've heard of even the screen itself deteriorating. Oh, and make sure your gas gauge is working.
Thanks!!! Just to be sure I put two more gallons in the pickup and still nothing. I'll be working on this tomorrow.
LJS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Tillik

I had ton of fuel flow issues last summer. Usually the fuel would empty out of my line from my pump to the carb. It was most noticeable after the truck sat for a while. I changed the filter, all the lines from the carb to the tank. Drove me nuts. Finally changed the mechanical fuel pump. Seemed to cure my problem. There must be a valve in the fuel pump that maintains positive fuel pressure to the carb and mine must have been broken. Good luck with your issue.
Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
wesmigletz

Check the rubber hoses that go from your tank to your fuel line and your fuel line to the fuel pump. I spent a fair amount of time chasing a fuel delivery issue a few years back on a 1974 Ventura... filter, then pump, then sending unit. The rubber hose had hardened and cracked enough to suck air, but it didn't leak gas.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
mr48chev

Good point, The alcohol in the gas now tends to cause older fuel hoses to deteriorate pretty rapidly. Also if you don't have a filter between the tank and the mechanical pump there is a good chance that there is something stuck in the valve (s) of the fuel pump which are little flat check valves with light springs behind them and a piece of sand stuck between the valve and it's seat will keep it from working.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote