The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
WOLFMANmike

Smile 1965 C10 long bed help

ok so i got my first 65 c10 and i need some help and ideas with it please . so here is the deal im on a very limited budget here aka Disability so im looking for ways to fix my issues as cheap as can be . so here is the problem i am a rather large man lol im 6 foot 1 and 441 lbs so as im sure you can picture ive got one hell of a belly lol so as you can guess my belly is pressed against the steering wheel fairly hard . so im wanting to get some ideas on what i can do to fix this like maybe seeing about cutting the steering column and telescoping it in towards the dash a few inches or things of this nature ? i really only need to get about 4 to 5 inches to be off of my gut . also thought about tilt steering but was not sure if that would help or not . and if they even made one back in 65 ? truck does have the cab gas tank in it so i dont know if taking out the gas tank and bolting the seat back further would help or not ? just looking for help i am trying to lose the weight but it wasent put on in a day it aint coming off in a day either ty for any help and ideas to help with this
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
onebigdog

Re: 1965 C10 long bed help

Hey Wolfman, if you have power steering you can us a smaller diameter steering wheel. I am 6'2" and could stand to lose a little belly. It helps me. My main issue is the clutch pedal is so high, my long legs have a hard time lifting high enough. Good luck.
onebigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
earl84

Welcome, Wolfman. The swap to tilt steering and gaining some room by moving the column forward is really not too bad of a process. I did it in my truck (not on the road yet) and if I can do it, just about anyone can. Most things aren't too difficult once you dive right in. Here's a link to another page that can give you some ideas. http://www.persh.org/Pickup/steering.htm

Also, go to the FAQ section, pretty sure there are a few articles in there, and do a search on the 60-66 forum, you will find more info than you can imagine.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Welcome Wolfman! I'm 6 foot with long legs..You could convert to a frame mounted tank and that would help put the seat farther back as well as a smaller diameter tilt wheel.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
WOLFMANmike

thanks guys i now have a buddy of mine from this forum that it trying to custom fab a stock steering column to shorten it into the dash by about 3 inches . we are hoping his idea works for me . we shall see
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote