The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
supercharged

Angry Hello - My Name is Supercharged and I am Insane

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines insanity thusly

in•san•i•ty
noun \in-‘sa-nə-tē\
: severe mental illness : the condition of being insane
: something that is very foolish or unreasonable
plural in•san•i•ties

Full Definition of INSANITY
1 : a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)
2 : such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminal or civil responsibility
3 a : extreme folly or unreasonableness
b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable

I searched for my truck for over four years, and I purchased my truck a year ago knowing this would be a slow and deliberate restro-mod, taking my time to work on the truck when I had the time and felt like it and doing things to the truck that would make it uniquely mine. Not a showroom restoration, nor a show custom car, or even a hot rod, just a safe running truck that reflected my interests and personality. Therefore, it was to be a very fun and stress free “project”.

The fact is this was not my first restoration, as I have restored over half a dozen cars and trucks from the early-fifties to the mid-seventies. Therefore, I thought I knew all the pitfalls and perils of our hobby. This project would be started with my eyes wide open and my expectations realistic.

I bought the truck a running and somewhat drivable, but badly rusted survivor. Someone years ago had replaced the I6 and column shift with a 454 and drive-train from a 1972 Chevelle and a Mustang frontend. Not a professional job but well done enough that it had run that way for years.

So once the truck was in my driveway, I started to work on the rust and some interior cosmetics and a few minor mechanical issues, thinking that by this summer it would at least ready to enjoy while I continued the mods and updates. Periodically I would start the truck and let it idle until it was hot and checked for leaks.

This weekend I decided to start the truck after it has sat idle for a couple months, so that I could perform a mild tune-up. But, nothing. It tried its best but it just would not fire up. So out came the gas poured directly into the carb, still nothing. Then finally, after many attempts it fired up for a second, backfired so loud it set off car alarms and the neighborhood dogs and then there was nothing but silence.

After settling the more sensible side of my marriage, I slowly put my tools away and retired back inside defeated and dejected.

It seems I perform this act of insanity every year. This utterly foolish and unreasonable attempt to make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

After over 50 years of such extreme folly and unreasonableness, I have finally come to terms with my wife’s diagnosis that I am truly INSANE.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Aristotle
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Hello - My Name is Supercharged and I am Insane

your truck looks sleepy

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Until it is diagnosed by a licensed psychiatrist...I would continue to live comfortably in denial!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I think you need to adjust the timing..specially if it back fired...the timing seems waaay off..or I am totally missing something here..
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Jeff La

The definition of insanity is very liberal and biased. Eccentricity would be a more balanced diagnosis.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Woogeroo

Wink Re: Hello - My Name is Supercharged and I am Insane

as stated in a signature line I see on a truck forum :
There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
grs

I am not as bad as you. I am crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote