The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
B17CRX

indexing torsion bars?

I have a 61 short stepper and I want to get the front end down a tad bit more. As it sits the t bar adjuster arms hang pretty low, and the last thing I want is to grind em off on speed bumps. To those who have done this do you pull the tbar out of the lca and rotate it, or do you just pull the adjuster arm off the other end and rotate that one position?

-Joel
B17CRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
HumphreyMurdoch

Re: indexing torsion bars?

I saw a thread a while back where a guy made a new key. It was on a black suburban with a white roof and GMC grill. Maybe he moved it in the bar in the control arm too, but it looked really slick. I can't find it at the moment, but I'll keep looking.

I would believe someone will start making something like this soon. Especially now that you can buy drop spindles for disc brakes and the captains adapter for the master cylinder for 60-62's.

However, I have my torsion bars dropped pretty far and haven't had any issues yet.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Joel, With my 61, my adjusters are pretty low. I don't have too many places where they hit, but I do have to watch it.. As for changing the index of them, I think they will move too far and you wont have the adjustment you would need to keep them higher. If it had more like an axel spline, it would be easier to do.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumphreyMurdoch View Post
I saw a thread a while back where a guy made a new key.
Here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post6507755

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

there have been discussions on this before. I can't say it can't be done but I don't recall anyone ever saying they did it. if the bars had splines like 61_Fl_ Apache mentioned above then you could do it but each face on these bars equals 60° which is a lot of drop (I'm guessing 10-12"). the way you change these things out is to jack the front up (with bump stops removed and shocks disconnected) till the control arms are fully down , so basically however much travel there is in the front cross member from loaded to unloaded (again, with no shocks or stops) is how much drop you'd get if you pulled the key off the bar and rotated it one face. maybe you could then crank some lift back into the bar to compensate for some of that, I just don't know

these bars are notorious for being hard (if not impossible) to take out but maybe the keys themselves come off fairly easy. be careful, I recall one member describing how he broke a wrist when something let go.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
LostMy65

fleetsidelarry is correct. Indexing in 60 degree increments is too much.
HumphreyMurdoch posted about having a key made that gives the desired drop but keeps the key tucked up in the frame so it isn't dangerously low.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Jeff La

I don't know for sure but if you were to back off the key to the point where you have little to no tension and see that ride height than if it's ok other than the key you could index the key one flat and tighten it up all the way and it should be at that approximate same ride height.

I changed the keys on a newer model and had to index the key to get it right, that's the only experience I have with them.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
there have been discussions on this before. I can't say it can't be done but I don't recall anyone ever saying they did it. if the bars had splines like 61_Fl_ Apache mentioned above then you could do it but each face on these bars equals 60° which is a lot of drop (I'm guessing 10-12"). the way you change these things out is to jack the front up (with bump stops removed and shocks disconnected) till the control arms are fully down , so basically however much travel there is in the front cross member from loaded to unloaded (again, with no shocks or stops) is how much drop you'd get if you pulled the key off the bar and rotated it one face. maybe you could then crank some lift back into the bar to compensate for some of that, I just don't know

these bars are notorious for being hard (if not impossible) to take out but maybe the keys themselves come off fairly easy. be careful, I recall one member describing how he broke a wrist when something let go.
As fleetsidelarry posted, Indexing in 60 degree increments is too much.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

good work, Lost Nothing beats a visual