The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
c10454

Headers

Looking for some input. My 76 c10 has a bone stock 454 and I'm kicking around installing headers when I replace the exhaust. You hear a lot of guys say there not worth the hassle, always leaking, etc. Others dont seem to have much trouble at all. Then theres the question of any real hp and torque gains, what benefit they would have on a stock engine. Thanks in advance
c10454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
imjeff

Re: Headers

I ran headers for a long time...and fixed header leaks. I haven't felt a power difference on a stock motor. If you do use them buy good gaskets and re-torque the bolts after the first few heat cycles, until they don't turn any more. If you don't (even once) they will usually leak. They also make some carbon gaskets I've heard work really well. All the slick go-go gadget bolts never worked well for me. Get good headers with thick flanges as well, if you go that way. Good luck!

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
donut

Re: Headers

What's your current exhaust set up now? My '86 had factory duals and smog pumps.

On mine, I was going to keep the manifolds, but they had to be pulled and resealed (bad leak on one of them.) I couldn't get the AIR tubes out and destroyed one of them. Rather than acquire new manifolds, sent Summit some money and new headers showed up. Not really much of a difference, and haven't had any problems with leaks yet. I do know eventually they will have to be replaced as they are the cheap, painted ones.

HP and torque gains? Not enough to notice, if any.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote