The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Fleetside of interest

Thei may be of interest to some
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4492350322.html
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Ratpin

Re: Fleetside of interest

That thing has been for sale on just about every available Avenue online. Kinda makes you wonder. To anyone that saw that episode, do you remember what they paid for that truck by the previous owner by chance?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The price was high for that truck as I remember, I also remember that the paint match was a big issue and still is. The cowl doesn't match the hood and doesn't match the doors or the back of the cab. They also filled instead of replacing rotted panels. It got a lot of talk on these types of boards and I'm just guessing it made the producers change the show because after that it they were showing better quality work.

"The steering works very well, but with 1950's manual steering slop" On a 20K truck???? Should be no slop....
"VIN plate missing from cab but VIN located on frame and matches title" This IS a problem if that vin plate is used on something else, it is the deciding factor in which truck get that title, registered or not its an issue.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
55dude

kinda tells the story "Gas Monkey Garage builds JUNK"! This was what i have read for some time with exception for the firebirds but they were paid extremely well for the restoration and actually hired someone else to oversee the work!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
meter swinger

I think the premise of the show is to turn a buck not produce a quality product. What blows my mind is how gullible people are. From guys at work asking "hey did you see gas monkey last night?" To the people that buy these works of deception I just dont understand the hype. A flipped front axle on a 20k truck? And I thouht I was ghetto.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
mr48chev

DW, I was thinking that looked like one of my first paint jobs that I ended up repainting after I saw it out in the light.

I learned that when you by two gallons of paint you need to mix them both together and mix them up good and then put them back in the cans from that episode.

A pressure regulator on the gun doesn't hurt either as changing air pressure has a real effect on the outcome of the paint job.

I'd say that the "Gas Monkeys" touched it thing may be a sale killer for 70% of the guys looking at that truck though. Their reputation is a whole lot less than stellar as far as the so called work they turn out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
dicer

Yeah I've seen them spend thousand of dollars screwing up a vehicle, they could have polished or put a nice paint job on and sold. They seem to love to mess things up nicely.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote