The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
jdcompman

What year engine is this out of

This is the only picture I've ever found that looks the same as my engine in my 69 C10. Notice there are two breathers on top of the valve cover. Also some vacuum actuated valve on the air cleaner. Mine looks exactly like this (all the way down to the front breather not attaching to the air cleaner)

I'm trying to figure where this combination came from because I don't believe it is original to the truck. Anyone have any ideas?

jdcompman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
davepl

Re: What year engine is this out of

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just post the casting number? Should be by the dipstick, if I remember, but haven't had a 6.

One is a PCV, the other is a breather. Every engine with a PCV needs a breather. The distributor is clearly a retrofit.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
jdcompman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just post the casting number? Should be by the dipstick, if I remember, but haven't had a 6.

One is a PCV, the other is a breather. Every engine with a PCV needs a breather. The distributor is clearly a retrofit.
Yeah I'll grab the casting number tonight and I can look those up. The thing that is unusual is that most PCV valve covers have the vent on the SIDE of the valve cover by the filler cap. I've only ever seen a picture like the one attached and of course mine, that have the breather on the TOP next to the filler cap. And of course it is an integral head.

I'm just trying to figure out what I presume is a Frankenstein is in this truck.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcompman View Post
...The thing that is unusual is that most PCV valve covers have the vent on the SIDE of the valve cover by the filler cap.
I did not know that, thanks! It's amazing how long you can be paying attention in this hobby and still only know 20% of what there is to know (if you're lucky).

I also think its amazing I can remember the color code breakdown for my two-tone truck in current PPG numbering but can never remember the names of any of the other parents at my kids' school.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
geezer#99

It's a 75 and up 250 from a Nova. The hei like that was stock with an external coil. The valve on the cleaner was tied to the heat riser on the exhaust to provide warm air for cold start ups. IIRC the valve cover was like that for better hood clearance.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
jdcompman

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
It's a 75 and up 250 from a Nova. The hei like that was stock with an external coil. The valve on the cleaner was tied to the heat riser on the exhaust to provide warm air for cold start ups. IIRC the valve cover was like that for better hood clearance.
Ding! Ding! Ding! It looks like we have a winner. After your message, I googled around a little and found pictures of a 75, 77 and 79 nova that have this valve cover. Although it does seem that most do not have this one. Strange.

Anyway, thanks for the help! Someday I'll swap to a non-integral head but this one will do for now, as my trusty work horse truck.

In case anyone finds this thread in the future. The casting numbers I found were 366855 for the block which tells me it's a 250. And 370696 for the head, which I can't find any information on.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
starvinartis

The vent on top instead of the side could be for clearance for ac compressor. The empty v-groove on pulley also leans toward this.
starvinartis is offline   Reply With Quote