The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
jordanblea

35" tires affects speedometer, odometer too?

Hey guys not sure if this is a stupid question or not. I have been keeping a log of how many miles I cover vs how much gas I buy to try and get a ballpark number on mpgs. My question is this, with 35" tires my speedometer is off, says I'm going 50 when im going 61-62 mph, which is ok I can deal with that, but will that also throw off what my odometer is reading? Like if it says I went 40 miles, but really went 50? That'd be nice....Anyways, thanks!
jordanblea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
bonnieclyde100

Re: 35" tires affects speedometer, odometer too?

yes it will mess up them readings also unless you set the speedo gear for them tires.
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 View Post
yes it will mess up them readings also unless you set the speedo gear for them tires.
Thanks. Do you know which way it'll affect the odometer? More or less distance traveled vs what it's reading? If I get the correct speedometer gear(?) will that fix the odometer issue as well?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

LESS.
That is, with a "slow" speedometer, your odometer will also count more slowly. Good news is if your tires have a warranty, you're getting better warranty coverage.
Three possibilities:
1] At a speedo shop run on the dynomometer and clock your indicated speed against your revolutions of their rollers and get a graph to post on your dash. So you know that, let's say, 47 indicated is really 55 actual MPH. Callibrations from 10 thru 90 on the top scale, and actual reading numbers on the lower scale.
2] With the above knowledge, some shops can build a compensator box [they're about 1" x 2"x 3"] that goes between your speedo cable and the transmission. Borg-Warner used to make them. With this gizmo, you're cured. Your ODO will read good. [Within 1 - 2.5%, or so]. I happenned to get lucky, once. I had an old comp box - came with a junkyard SM465. It read all wrong, but I kept it anyway. Some years later when I switched from R8x17.5LTs to R235/85-16LTs, I tried it on for laffs. I was amazed, when it matched my GPS speeds within 2-3 MPH. So if you find the little box keep it. A speedo shop can change the internal gears or you.
3] Get a GPS, set it on MPH, and read that when driving. No odometer support however, but it's way accurate.
You could also get a helper to record your speeds, matching indicated marks with actual GPS readings, and make up your own calibration curve chart -- without going to a speedo shop -- like I had to do in the '80s.
Good luck.
Hope this helps.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
LESS.
That is, with a "slow" speedometer, your odometer will also count more slowly. Good news is if your tires have a warranty, you're getting better warranty coverage.
Three possibilities:
1] At a speedo shop run on the dynomometer and clock your indicated speed against your revolutions of their rollers and get a graph to post on your dash. So you know that, let's say, 47 indicated is really 55 actual MPH. Callibrations from 10 thru 90 on the top scale, and actual reading numbers on the lower scale.
2] With the above knowledge, some shops can build a compensator box [they're about 1" x 2"x 3"] that goes between your speedo cable and the transmission. Borg-Warner used to make them. With this gizmo, you're cured. Your ODO will read good. [Within 1 - 2.5%, or so]. I happenned to get lucky, once. I had an old comp box - came with a junkyard SM465. It read all wrong, but I kept it anyway. Some years later when I switched from R8x17.5LTs to R235/85-16LTs, I tried it on for laffs. I was amazed, when it matched my GPS speeds within 2-3 MPH. So if you find the little box keep it. A speedo shop can change the internal gears or you.
3] Get a GPS, set it on MPH, and read that when driving. No odometer support however, but it's way accurate.
You could also get a helper to record your speeds, matching indicated marks with actual GPS readings, and make up your own calibration curve chart -- without going to a speedo shop -- like I had to do in the '80s.
Good luck.
Hope this helps.

Very much so thanks!! Didn't want to see "LESS" on the distance traveled though lol, stands to reason though. Thank you sir!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
geezer#99

Once you establish your actual speed then install a ratio adaptor like in this link.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Once you establish your actual speed then install a ratio adaptor like in this link.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
jordanblea

So I started thinking.....lol. If the odometer is counting slowly, then wouldn't I be covering more distance, not less, than it reads?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanblea View Post
So I started thinking.....lol. If the odometer is counting slowly, then wouldn't I be covering more distance, not less, than it reads?
Well, yes. What I meant by 'LESS' is you'll have indicated fewer miles than you have actually gone.
Think of different units of measure. A Statute Mile is 5,280 feet. A Nautical Mile is ~6,076 feet. A League is 3 Miles [Naut.] A bigger tire has a longer circumference which will click the ODO fewer times.
I once got a speeding ticket because I had taped "KNOTS" over my speedometer. [My correction was close to 1:1.15.] The cop, also familiar with general aviation, said I had to have known I was going too fast if I knew I was indicating in Knots.
55 Knots = 63.25 MPH. Besides the speeding tic I also had a repair order, so I had to go to a state-certified speedo shop to get at least a correction card [graph].

Old 06-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
jordanblea

Quote:
Well, yes. What I meant by 'LESS' is you'll have indicated fewer miles than you have actually gone.
Think of different units of measure. A Statute Mile is 5,280 feet. A Nautical Mile is ~6,076 feet. A League is 3 Miles [Naut.] A bigger tire has a longer circumference which will click the ODO fewer times.
I once got a speeding ticket because I had taped "KNOTS" over my speedometer. [My correction was close to 1:1.15.] The cop, also familiar with general aviation, said I had to have known I was going too fast if I knew I was indicating in Knots.
55 Knots = 63.25 MPH. Besides the speeding tic I also had a repair order, so I had to go to a state-certified speedo shop to get at least a correction card [graph].

Awesome, thanks!! I was thinking you meant "less" as far as mpg's lol.

Last edited by jordanblea; 06-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

As far as MPG, I rely on the Odometer in my '71 GMC Jimmy [K/5]. [350V8/SM465/NP205/3.73 posi rear].
The gas gauge is out of order, and replacing the in-tank sender is more than I want to deal with right now, so I keep a logbook and record my fill-ups and trip-run miles. I figure on an arbitrary 10 MPG, so I try to top off the 20 gallon tank every 100 miles or so.
The fuel tank is covered by a steel skid plate with about 40 bolts holding it on, and additionally there's a big Class IV hitch bolted on under that. I've thought of cutting a patch out of the floor panel on the back deck and bolting a repair plate over it --for access-- but plunge-cutting a grinder thru the floor on top of a stock fuel tank is its own kinda thrill.
Also the speedo and ODO read slow with 33x12.50x15LT tires. I use a GPS for speedometer sometimes. Or I just drive 43 indicated in a 50 MPH posted zone.
I have spare Borg Warner compensator widget, but it needs a pro speedo shop to correct it.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
jordanblea

Quote:
As far as MPG, I rely on the Odometer in my '71 GMC Jimmy [K/5]. [350V8/SM465/NP205/3.73 posi rear].
The gas gauge is out of order, and replacing the in-tank sender is more than I want to deal with right now, so I keep a logbook and record my fill-ups and trip-run miles. I figure on an arbitrary 10 MPG, so I try to top off the 20 gallon tank every 100 miles or so.
The fuel tank is covered by a steel skid plate with about 40 bolts holding it on, and additionally there's a big Class IV hitch bolted on under that. I've thought of cutting a patch out of the floor panel on the back deck and bolting a repair plate over it --for access-- but plunge-cutting a grinder thru the floor on top of a stock fuel tank is its own kinda thrill.
Also the speedo and ODO read slow with 33x12.50x15LT tires. I use a GPS for speedometer sometimes. Or I just drive 43 indicated in a 50 MPH posted zone.
I have spare Borg Warner compensator widget, but it needs a pro speedo shop to correct it.

We have a very similar set up: 350V8/SM465/T221/3.73 posi rear. Lol. Tires 35x12.5. I was figuring around 9mpg using the odometer readings divided by how many gallons I bought. At least it's a little better than 9mpgs.

Check out my other thread (if you're bored)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624856

I learned a lot on this little issue.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
'68OrangeSunshine

You know the SM465/T221 lash up was only made in 1968? Before that it was SM420/T221 and after, it was SM465/NP205. I have a 465/221 I'm saving for a '72 Blazer future project: 'The Blue Phantom of the Junkyard.'

Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #14
jordanblea

Quote:
You know the SM465/T221 lash up was only made in 1968? Before that it was SM420/T221 and after, it was SM465/NP205. I have a 465/221 I'm saving for a '72 Blazer future project: 'The Blue Phantom of the Junkyard.'
I did not know that specifically, most I've seen on them isn't a whole lot. Timken used them in a 6x6 vehicle of some sort.