The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
specks70

Windshield Seal and Trim Install

Okay, Tried tackling this last evening and had gotten so frustrated that I completely gave up, which is very unlike me. I love challenges which is probably why I have a profession as an Engineer. Anyway, I wanted to get the windshield installed last evening. I called a buddy of mine to help support. Thank god I did because if my wife and I would have tried doing this together I probably would be signing divorce papers rather than writing this thread asking for your help.
I purchased a new windshield seal and trim kit from LMC. This is the first time ever installing a windshield so I watched all the videos on the net and well, felt like it would be a challenge but was sure I could accomplish the task.
I started with putting the seal around the windshield which seems extremely loose. The windshield is stock by the way. It seems like it is an inch or so to big. I can get it to stay on the windshield but any type of movement to the seal would cause it to start coming off. Okay, that is my first issue. Is that normal? I seen other videos where it looks like they are pretty much stretching the seal a little bit to get it onto the last corner.
Now onto the next, the trim kit seems to be very difficult to install and I feel that it may be do to the seal being so loose, plus being a new trim kit it just hasn't taken the shape of the window yet.
Can someone provide some assistance.????
specks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
diggerbob

Re: Windshield Seal and Trim Install

Based on what I have read on many posts on this site, after market trim does not work well. You would do well to get some used OEM 67-70 trim and a 67-70 gasket made by Precision. Here is a link to a discussion on the subject
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=612098
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
Lee H

Trim into seal, seal onto glass, install rope into seal, tape seal with masking tape to windshield in 5-6 places. Install on truck starting at the bottom center, use lots of lube and work slowly. Did you see the "Precision" brand seal video? They do a great job of showing this whole process.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
OldCreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Trim into seal, seal onto glass, install rope into seal, tape seal with masking tape to windshield in 5-6 places. Install on truck starting at the bottom center, use lots of lube and work slowly. Did you see the "Precision" brand seal video? They do a great job of showing this whole process.
Good info here! Use some soapy water to help lube the seal and make it easier to install. Also, I used a small flat blade screwdriver to help the seal along in the tightest places and used the rope as a back up….

Good luck.

I was lucky enough to do a front and rear window by myself…it can be done.
1970 K3500 1ton CrewCab 8.1L/Allison1000/NP205 Dana 60/14B!!!! - Sold
1984 K10 SWB 7.4L/4L80e/NP208 Corp 10/12 bolt Sold
1988 V30 CCLB 7.4L/TH400/NP205/Dana 60/Dana 70/3.73!!! (Sold)
2003 K2500HD 8.1/Allison1000/NP263
OldCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
specks70

Thanks to all, and yes I have seen the Precision demo.
Lee H brought up a good one though. I never thought about putting the trim onto the seal and then the seal onto the windshield. I think I may give that a shot after work today.
I will keep you all posted
Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerbob View Post
based on what i have read on many posts on this site, after market trim does not work well. You would do well to get some used oem 67-70 trim and a 67-70 gasket made by precision. Here is a link to a discussion on the subject
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=612098

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Don't waste too much time fighting to get the repro trim installed. Chances are good that the repro trim will not fit well if at all. I went through two sets before polishing up an OEM set - which slipped right in. I wish you luck. Can see detailed discussion here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484773

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
hfd410

get a Precision brand gasket and early OEM trim which has the taller lip. Do it exactly as in the video. I used glass cleaner as lube since it evaporates. It went in easily and without issues
Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
tinlid

Could have been worse. I had ordered a LMC gasket and then hired the local company that has done a lot of windshields on newer cars for me in the past. My wife had just had a knee replaced so I needed to be close to her but I kept coming out to check progress. On one trip out the installer had it in with the bottom and side trim pieces installed. He was at the back of his truck with snips in hand and had trimmed one corner of the back of the top trim and was cutting the other corner. When asked what the H he was doing he said it needed trimmed to install. Had to go back in the house and a little bit later came back out and it was installed. I noticed a bead of black silicone across the top trim and asked about it. He said he had to trim the whole lip of the trim to get it in and the silicone was to hold it in. Was not happy at all. Now I need to locate a top trim piece for the early model, buy a new gasket and re-install it myself. When the guy first showed up I asked if it would be a problem and he said no, he had done many. So much for trust of someone that says they know what they are doing.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlid View Post
Could have been worse. I had ordered a LMC gasket and then hired the local company that has done a lot of windshields on newer cars for me in the past. My wife had just had a knee replaced so I needed to be close to her but I kept coming out to check progress. On one trip out the installer had it in with the bottom and side trim pieces installed. He was at the back of his truck with snips in hand and had trimmed one corner of the back of the top trim and was cutting the other corner. When asked what the H he was doing he said it needed trimmed to install. Had to go back in the house and a little bit later came back out and it was installed. I noticed a bead of black silicone across the top trim and asked about it. He said he had to trim the whole lip of the trim to get it in and the silicone was to hold it in. Was not happy at all. Now I need to locate a top trim piece for the early model, buy a new gasket and re-install it myself. When the guy first showed up I asked if it would be a problem and he said no, he had done many. So much for trust of someone that says they know what they are doing.
The situation you describe suggests the trim was repro - these seem to pop out at the upper corners. Did you use repro trim?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
tinlid

No. It was the original trim taken out when the windshield was removed by the glass company. I bought the truck 4 years ago from my neighbor who could no longer drive. 1970 SWB. 307/3 speed with 76,000 original miles. Had been hit once on the drivers side front fender, repaired and repainted. Paint is now pealing and it needs a rocker and drivers side cab corner and the bottom half of the drivers door is heavily surface rusted. Nice truck and runs great. Starting a slow restore.
tinlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlid View Post
I had ordered a LMC gasket.
Game over right there.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd410 View Post
get a precision brand gasket and early oem trim which has the taller lip. Do it exactly as in the video. I used glass cleaner as lube since it evaporates. It went in easily and without issues
x2
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
WIDESIDE72

There is no telling how much trouble the trim in windshields on our trucks has caused! ITS ONLY GETTING WORSE, as the guys who used to do these are going away. I had a similar fiasco with our 72. My dad called a glass co. And the guy said no problem, $100. We. Furnished used glass and one trim, precision gasket. They sent a guy who couldn't speak English. He wrestled it for several hours and gave up. I called his boss the next day and gave him the link to the precision install video. He went outand had it in in an hour.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
Orange67

Yup You are right, we (guys that have been doing glass for ever) are disappearing. I will not use aftermarket trim, never have for the very reasons expressed here. I know of a manager here in Utah that tells people you can't get the gasket for trim, because they are difficult to install. Never heard of a hacker cutting trim up though. That's rough. Honestly, I would have made the glass co replace it with oem.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
WIDESIDE72

I have a 70 longhorn and my brother has a 72 cheyenne that were both originally equipped with trim. Both now have non trim rubber around the windshield by a previous owner. No sign of the trim though. I have tracked down some trim for mine though.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
specks70

Well now I'm not sure what to do. I have the new trim and seal which costs close to $100 not including shipping and will probably cost $30 to ship back to LMC and then if they even take it back because I tried to install it already. No damage to anything just out of the original packaging.
The funny thing is, I also purchased another truck as my donor truck that I took the windshield out of for the one I'm restoring. I cut the seal because I figured the aftermarket would be okay. That was over a year ago. Dam I wish I would have reviewed this issue earlier. I'm thinking of simply getting a basic seal with no trim 'groove'.
I'll keep you all posted as I figure out what I'm going to do.
Thank You all,