The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Bone$

Saving chrome??

Hey guys I pulled my grill out and it looks to far gone but I thought I would ask if it's possible to bring back to life?

If so please share tips ..

Thanks,
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Saving chrome??

It will never be that great but try some CLR on it to get most of the rust off it and then take some chrome polish to it and then wax it. That might help until you decide what you want to do about a nice one.

Side note : The first shiny grill in my 48 in 1973 was the product of buying several damaged grills each with a different bar or two that were really nice so I could assemble a nice grill without paying a lot of cash out. I drove to the Street r73od Nationals in Tulsa in 1973 with a painted and upholstered truck that I had well under 1000 tied up in and most likely under 600 when I left for Tulsa. That was due to some good deals and a lot of hours every morning for a month block sanding before I drove it to work that day. If you can't swing a nicely chromed grill or to have yours redone start looking for the pieces to make one that is nice one piece at a time.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Saving chrome??

Mr48 is right. It'll never be that great but it'll look a LOT nicer than it does now. After the CLR, I'd use 0000 steel wool with so e chrome polish and you'll be shocked how much better the places where there's still chrome left on it will look!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote