The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
William Stewart

Stuck Head Removal 216

Guys,

My Chev 216 (1950 1/2 ton PU), which was the subject of some stuck valve discussions is ready for the head to come off. Won't budge.

I'm looking for some safe way to get it loose. All the stovebolts are out, and manifolds, plugs and rocker assy and hose adapter off. Never had one stuck like this before and I don't want to break anything.

Suggestions?

Bill
William Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
magicoolbus

Re: Stuck Head Removal 216

They can be stubborn sometimes.

I know its a bit ridiculous to say, but make sure you have all of the bolts removed. Use your torque sequence from your manual to ensure that you got them all. There are 8 that are right next to the intake/exhaust ports, not just the ones under the valve cover.

Do not use anything between the head and block, like a prybar. Try taking your 1/2" breaker bar (or any solid rod that's not gonna bend), put handle side in ex or intake port to gain some leverage and you should be able to break it loose. Don't bash on it, just apply some force and it should let go.
Good luck, remember to get some help lifting it out of the engine bay. The head is quite heavy and a bit hard to maneuver out by yourself.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

I pulled up to a buddys house years ago. He was in the back yard cussing & sweating trying to get a head off a flathead Ford. I told him to go in & get us some beers & ill get it off. I could see there was 1 bolt still in it. When he got back the head was laying on the ground. It was a long time before I told him how I did it. Coolbus may be on to it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
DransportGarage

I'd left a bolt in years ago. Could have sworn I had them all out. Never thought to go to the torque sequence to figure it out. Good tip...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

When I can't get a head off its as said before usually a bolt that was covered in goo and didn't see it. But on occasion the head gasket had been shellaced so I just crank over the motor and it usually pops it loose. If that doesn't do it a little gas in each intake port and put the plugs back in and start it. it won't run but a few pops a little flash and its loose for sure.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
William Stewart

Yep,

First time I removed a 216 head, I overlooked #1. Not this time, or the last five or six heads tho.

Guess I'll make up a pair of hardwood billets that will fit the exhaust ports and try to lever it loose.

Bill
Old 06-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
mr48chev

I'd suspect a bolt being still left in the head although the head gasket on. On my Cad 500 the head gasket had something on it that stuck the head on like you can't believe though and I did check the bolt holes one by one to make sure I hadn't missed one.

Years ago I saw the remnants of a SBC head in a friend's machine shop that someone had tried and succeeded without removing the exhaust manifold. Word was they had used a six foot pry bar to get the head off snapping the head off along the bottom row of bolts that they hadn't removed.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
DransportGarage

Now that we know you are a man of capability, and have not left a head bolt in (fingers crossed ) I suspect someone glued the head gasket on both sides. Do NOT use a large screwdriver. Find a really stiff putty knife and drive it between the head and the block. Repeat. Repeat. I have an old linoleum knife I use for such porpoises (I know, I know -- it's "purposes").
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 06-09-2014 at 09:07 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
William Stewart

Guys,

Thanks for inputs. Head is now on my bench after using a hammer handle into an exhaust port as a lever. It looks like the gasket was bonded to head and block.

That casting sure has gotten heavier since the last time I lifted one.

Had to heat the intake valve guides to melt the gum and remove the valves, but not so hot as to hurt the seals (I hope).

Bill
Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
magicoolbus

I am sure you will be buying a gasket set, and it will come with new o-ring seals. You will want to get umbrella seals put on it too. Don't worry about the old seals, they are junk. I would not even disassemble the head, just take the whole thing to your auto machinist. As I remember from your last post about the stuck valve, you were worried about a bent valve. Unless you have a valve refacer, a small bend will be impossible to see. Invest now so you don't pay later!
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
William Stewart

Pulled the intakes and indicated them in a collet. No runout, but will check sealing before reinstalling head.

I was really surprised to see the amount of gum in the intake ports. I don't believe the engine could get back on the street without pulling the head. As it is I had the head on my outdoor bench sitting on the plug side, (ports up) with the intakes out, all day in the hot Ca. sun. Gum was oozing out of the ports like tree sap. I've never seen this before tho I've been told that ethanol spiked gas will produce this. The gum is soluble in methanol so I'm removing it where I can reach it. Have not looked into the manifold yet.

Yeah and the carb is being rebuilt too. Any recommendations on fuel stabilizer?

Bill