The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
MyDream55

Brake Question

Hello all-

Recently I purchased a power disc brake upgrade kit and installed it.. The only problem I am having now is the brake pedal will not come back up when pressed in. It is a new booster, master cylinder, prop. valve, disc brakes up front, and new brake lines. I ran a vacuum hose from the back of carburator.

I also re-installed the spring and greased the fitting the pedal is attched to. The brakes stop perfect but I keep having to pull it back up with my foot. Anybody have any ideas what it could be or what I can check?

Thanks for the help.

Also , it is a 56 stepside with a 350.
MyDream55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
Daze57

Re: Brake Question

maybe a dumb question - but is it the original return spring ? if not you may have to go to somethin a bit bigger and stronger
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
MyDream55

It is the original return spring.. I thought about that at one point but it was a pain to get on and streched so I thought it was good. Maybe I will try that next. Do you know where I can get a new one to size it? Not sure if auto stores carry something like that since I've never seen them.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
Daze57

i know this sounds a bit weird but also make sure the pedal is not against anything -i e it returns straight back to its original position .
a good hardware store should carry some springs that 'll get ya close out here in vegas there is a place called ''Macfadden-dale '' you may want to check online for their catalog to see if you can find somethin close .
you may want to check the bushing the brake pedal rides on - make sure its cleanand clear of old grease or junk and check the bushing on the pedal itself and emery cloth it (sand it clean and smooth ) use emery cloth NOT SANDPAPER !!!!
maybe this will loosen it up a bit
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
MyDream55

Daze57,

Thanks for the responses. The bushing is brand new so there was no grease at all. I greased it and still no luck. The bushing had a washer that went inside and that was also a pain in the @ss to put in. I thought it was a little too tight but the instructions said it had to go in.

I will check in to both the spring and bushing again and see what happens. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

You might still have air in the system & the pedal is going down too far. Or the rear shoes need adjusting.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
OrrieG

If the spring went on hard and it return with a pull (does is get half way and keep going on its own??) then probably resistance. If the washer was a tight fit that might be the problem, I know I made my set up and had to adust the thickness to get the right balance of return vs. slop. I also had to open up the hole in the floor, geometry was just a little off and the pedal moved sideway as depressed and was rubbing on the firewall. Might be the linkage between the pedal and booster too if it is traveling too far. Ideally if the geometry is right you should only have to depress it about 4" or half way to get full braking, if it goes close to the floor adjust back brakes as some one else suggested.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Highsider

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=631478
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote