The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
mg98ta

frame swap on 47-53's

Hey everyone. My name is Michael. Been on here for quite some time, just haven't posted anything. Me & my wife are getting ready to start on her truck. A little back ground. I bought a 50 truck that came with an extra 48 or 49 body. I ended up parting the truck out because it was really rough. I kept the extra body. It has a vin and we are working on getting title work for it. We do not have a frame for the truck. I've read and looked at the 73-87 chevy truck, the S-10,& other frame swaps. Has anyone ever used the 88 up chevy truck chassis? I would like to get some opinions on pro's & con's on some of the swaps. i know the 73-87's are wide & the S-10's are narrow in the front. I don't care for running wide spacer's. We want a frame that will be capable of hauling, towing, & withstand a turbo'ed LS1 powerplant. I work at a fab shop so making mounts and brackets & such is no problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pics would be good to. Thanks
mg98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
mechanixman

Re: frame swap on 47-53's

Based on what you've said (about fabrication not being a problem)
I'd go with a c10 or c20. I do remember someone on the board using an 88 4x4 frame for their truck. I've heard a lot of people saying they'd rather start off with a beefier frame as opposed to strengthening an s10 frame (also known as the 1/4 ton frame). There were a couple threads on here that talked about using the IFS from a 73-87 truck. The big concern being that wide track width, but someone had the smart idea of trimming a few inches out of the center cross member, and rebuilding the engine mounts.
Hope it helps,

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:15 AM   #3
spreader

I've got a 48 GMC on a 78 C-20 complete drive train. The mid-frame rear cab mount for the 78 body worked out perfectly for the 48. Just had to notch the top of the frame down to that mid frame cross member.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
gag1025

Just my opinion. II thought that I would like to use an S10 frame because it already had everything on it that I needed (PS,PB, AC, etc.) so I set out to find as many as I could to see them for myself. After going to countless car shows I saw several. I decide then that I did not like the way they looked with a 47-53 body sitting on this frame. I decided to use the original '53 frame and build it around a Mustang II front end. I also added a Camaro differential and hung the brake pedal lever. I have never regretted it.