The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
MidLifer

hole in crossmember

While I was taking my 1950 3100 apart, I found this hole in the front crossmember and thought, hey, that's strange, maybe the PO cut it out when changing the radiator? But then I saw in a build thread or 3 that others have the same kind of holes. Can anyone clue me in on what causes these and how you've fixed them? Enough to weld up filler or should I replace the member?
Attached Images

MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
oldman3

Re: hole in crossmember

I've worked on three of these and never saw anything like that. If the remainder of the crossmember is good, I would weld in a piece...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
While I was taking my 1950 3100 apart, I found this hole in the front crossmember and thought, hey, that's strange, maybe the PO cut it out when changing the radiator? But then I saw in a build thread or 3 that others have the same kind of holes. Can anyone clue me in on what causes these and how you've fixed them? Enough to weld up filler or should I replace the member?
I see that often, Its the radiator bolt pulling through after years of flex in that area. Just weld in a patch and drill the holes for the rad mount bolts
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
MidLifer

Thanksfor setting me straight. I figured "billy" (my nickname for the PO, as in "hill") must have cut the member to get a radiator out when a bolt froze.

Compared to my 71, this project has had more than its share of surprises...the longer these trucks live, the more people f&$k with them...
Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
mr48chev

I'd say Dave hit it right on the money. Looking at the other side it looks like the bolt holes over there are wallowed out from things moving around.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
LEEVON

The frame that came with my '50 had that plus alot of heavy pitting. I pitched it in favor of one in much better condition, but that was just across town for $50. Speedway does sell all the crossmembers now, that's an option!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Radiat...kup,63704.html
Old 06-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
MidLifer

Leevon, that radiator mount looks interesting, thanks, but on my truck there is a single crossmember that also acts as a front engine mount for the I6. If I was going V8 I probably could (would have to?) use that part, but I'm staying with the stovebolt.

My frame is otherwise in great shape, save for one cracked running board mount, which I can probably also fix with a bit of welding, so I'm gonna stick with it.