The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Smudge

70 CST Interior, Basic help request

Hey guys. I recently picked up a '70 CST and I'm looking for a little guidance. I'm no mechanic, shade tree or otherwise, so this is very basic stuff.

It seems to me that the interior is mostly original, except that the carpet looks like it was recently replaced, as well as the steering wheel. I want to preserve the originality, for now at least, with the thought of maybe restoring this truck in 5 years or so. I have a few areas that I think need attention to keep them from deteriorating further:

(1) Vinyl door panels look pretty good but they have come loose and torn at the bottom corners. Photo below is of the driver's door, and it is the better one. My thought is to come up with some sort of metal or plastic edge molding to pull the vinyl down and keep it from being pulled further... the headliner has such a molding edge, photo below. Is that a crazy idea? Any ideas where I might get such an item?

(2) Second issue is what I'm calling the gear selection indicator?? It's the fin on top of the steering column that is viewed through the clear gear indicator... a picture is worth 1000 words, it's shown below. The fin is broken, and a previous owner has drilled a hole at the end and screwed it on, and also attempted to use an adhesive. I've not even had any luck trying to search LMC or these forums for the name of the part! I'm guessing I'll need the entire outside of the steering column. Looking for suggestions.

(3) Oh, there are tears in the end of the vinyl bench seat, too, not bad but I wonder if it's better to use a vinyl patch or just leave it alone.

Like I said, I'm a rank beginner. I just got nostalgic for an old truck, and this is the result. Wife thinks I'm nuts for selling my 2010 Ranger with good A/C and less than 42,000 miles, but I couldn't be happier.

Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 70 CST Interior, Basic help request

Welcome to the board! Nice first post. I will see if I can help you out. On the door panel, you might want to look in the classified section for a nice original pair, they come up occasionally. Or there's always the aftermarket ... I'm not sure what you have in mind to strap it down?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Smudge

Thanks for the welcome Mike, and for the suggestion. Yes I think you're right that my best bet would be to find an original pair. As for the repops, aren't they molded plastic instead of vinyl?

In the meantime what I have in mind is a molded edge similar to the original equipment molding that holds the headliner in place. Probably not feasible but I thought I'd ask about it.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
picklito

Nice truck! I have a 70 GMC and like you have not been able to find the gear indicator. Other years, yes, but not the correct 70 piece. There was a screw hole at the back originally.

If anybody knows where to get one I'd like to know, too!
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklito View Post
Nice truck! I have a 70 GMC and like you have not been able to find the gear indicator. Other years, yes, but not the correct 70 piece. There was a screw hole at the back originally.

If anybody knows where to get one I'd like to know, too!
Hey if I find a 2-pack I'll send you one! Good to know the screw hole is original.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

Have you tried using contact cement to re-attach the door panel vinyl? I'd apply the adhesive, heat the vinyl with a hair dryer or (very carefully) with a heat gun and stretch the vinyl as you push it onto the adhesive. Using a roller may help.

I checked 2 places for the shift pointer housing. If I understand correctly, this is what you are looking for.
- Classic Industries: http://www.classicindustries.com/search/?q=14836
- LMC: Part 32-7213 http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=142

SMS Fabrics (http://www.smsautofabrics.com/) sells the original (at least they did a couple years ago) non-scroll seat vinyl. The grain pattern was called walrus. My receipt from the upholstery shop shows number L3383 for black. I paid $77 for 1 or 2 yards. An upholstery shop can easily replace the worn parts. Your seat cover definitely looks like it can be salvaged. It's far nicer than the repop covers if it works. It worked great on my factory buckets with similar wear.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 06-20-2014 at 09:18 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Smudge

Hey thanks a ton, I really appreciate the help. And yes the shift pointer housing unit is indeed what I need. Thanks for going to the trouble.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
Hey thanks a ton, I really appreciate the help. And yes the shift pointer housing unit is indeed what I need. Thanks for going to the trouble.
You're welcome.

Incidentally, the vinyl on the door panels was not very smooth looking from from the factory. Somewhat wavy.

For reference, below are the before and after pictures of the seats in my 69 with the fabric on some of the bolsters replaced with the SMS material..
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
Smudge

Great match on the vinyl. I will definitely find a shop to do the interior work and see how much material they'll need, then I'll be ordering from SMS. Your black and red interior looks sharp.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
Great match on the vinyl. I will definitely find a shop to do the interior work and see how much material they'll need, then I'll be ordering from SMS. Your black and red interior looks sharp.
Odds are that they can order the material for you. They may also be able to re-glue your door panels.