The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Hawssie

3-4" extended cab photo shop?

The 67-72 trucks have always been my favorite body style of any truck. It was my first truck back 82. But in my late 20's I screwed up my back and never was able to get comfortable in the rather small cabs of these trucks. I am also over 6' tall. Because of this I moved to the Blazers and still have 2 of these. I just got through building a 1970 c10 for a family truck and I am now going to do a 67-68 and it brought back an idea I had a while ago. And that was to extend the cab maybe 3 inches. The least noticeable way I think would be somewhere through the middle of the doors, cab and roof. The frame doesn't matter because it will have a custom frame and front/rear suspension anyways. It would be a lot of work and would require custom door glass and panels,carpet etc. I think 3 would be the most before it would become strange looking. I was wondering if anyone had seen this done or had any input or maybe could photo shop a truck so I could see what it would look like. My reasoning again is not to make it look different but to add more leg room, and do you think 3 inches would be worth it? Maybe 4 inches?
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
BigMike

Re: 3-4" extended cab photo shop?

There are a couple of trucks that were done that way but so far I could only find this one. http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredve...p/viewall.html

And this one, which I'd never seen before until I started looking for them. There is another one that was real popular several years back that I can't find.

http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredve...967_chevy_c10/

If done right it would be difficult for the average person to notice it. I'm 6'3 so I moved the steering column forward about 3" and that made a world of difference for me comfort wise. I still need to find the right seats so I can modify them to fit my needs, preferably a set of buddy buckets.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
Blazerowner

How did you modify the column to give more room? I'm 6 foot but still feel like I need more room.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
Hawssie

Boy I guess I wasn't the only one looking for more room and willing to start cutting.. That guy actually did 6 inches and it doesn't look too noticeable. Thanks for the links. I slid the column forward and the adjusted the brake pedal closer to the floor already. while removing the gas tank gives you plenty of extra room it really doesnt help with the seat as the seat back rests against the back of the cab already.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I remember that issue. There was a comment in the article in which a GM engineer of the day, saw the truck and had to spend some time studying it to learn what was done. He was very complimentary to the owner/builder for the caliber of work done on the cab.

But, this is the very same truck that came to mind, when I saw your title...and this one is NOT photoshopped....it's real.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
How did you modify the column to give more room? I'm 6 foot but still feel like I need more room.
Here is a write up that Putter did in '06. One of the best mods us taller guys can do for comfort IMO.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=191143
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
cleanfreak

I've been toying with the same idea , but 6" on the back of the cab , on a longhorn chassis , and a standard 8 " box. I did a couple rough photochops , happy with the results , I just need to get over the fact that I will own it forever if I do it , as few have my tastes for the odd.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
Hawssie

I didnt put "photo shop" in the title in regards that truck or any other truck,as I wasnt even aware of its existence when I posted this. I was asking if someone could photo shop an extended cab for me. But now that I can see one thanks to BIGMIKE posting it, I can now see for myself what it can look like.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #9
Hawssie

Its a big commitment and I am still wavering. I know I can accomplish it, its just a lot of time and like you insinuated its not probably going to be a money maker or big selling point. One of the biggest concerns for me is I want to do a stock looking interior and it may be harder to do that then a custom one after the extension. I thought about doing the door lengthening by extending a couple of inches on each side of the door panel insert area leaving the panel indention alone so I could still use a stock interior panel. Of course that adds even more work. I am going to drive 1970 I finished for a while and see if I can make myself get used to it before I decide.