The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
CharlieSheen

Which Column for Tilt,Column Shifter for 4L80e(Cable)???

I'm gathering stuff for a '53 GMC project on late model chassis,6.0 LQ4,4L80e tranny (shift by cable).I plan on modifying the dash and firewall,especially after seeing what Ole Sarge is up to.

I'm trying to figure out which steering column I want to use.I'd like to use a tilt column with a column shifter,I want to keep as much floor space clear as possible.The 4L80e shifts by cable.I will use the complete stock harness and computer from the late model truck containing the chassis and drive train.

My preference is to use a stock,junkyard column and re-build it/paint,etc.I would like to use a more stock looking wheel,not a modern padded type.I was leaning toward a late 70s Chevy Van column with key in dash,it kind of has that no-frills slim look,but I'm open to whatever at this point.

I guess the hurdle that comes to my mind is the cable,shift indicator and the extra Overdrive gear.Thank you all.
CharlieSheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
pgf545

Re: Which Column for Tilt,Column Shifter for 4L80e(Cable)???

I don't know about what stock column you could use but we used an Ididit tilt column. It has the shifter on the column and uses a cable to shift the transmission. I have a couple of pictures on my build thread. Look towards the end of the cable setup, I just posted those a few weeks ago.

Bernie
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
CharlieSheen

Thanks,Bernie...great project you have there.Can't wait to see you roast some tires with that truck...like for several blocks!

As for me,something about the junkyard I find romantic,lol!But here I go again,I change my mind like a 14 year old girl.

I really would like to keep the key in the dash.This might be tough.

I really would like a column shifter (4L80e)...even after driving a stick for 90% of my adult life.

I would really like tilt.
(but to be honest,most of the vehicles I have tilt,but once I set it,I don't think I have ever touched it again...so...)

However,I was thinking that I preferred the slim column of older trucks,but now I have been sketching out my ideas for a "Frankendash" which cobbles together a vintage dash and modern components from a couple of vehicles,and basically hides most of the column.But what becomes crucial,because I am creating a much deeper dashboard than the stock '53 is the distance between column shifter and steering wheel.I want to keep the steering wheel as tight to the dash and gauge cluster as possible and the limiting factor would seem to be the distance from where the column shifter is located on the column out to the end of the steering wheel shaft.Trying to keep the wheel out and away from my body as much as possible.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
pgf545

Thanks, it started out as a simple Mustang II install and has turned into this monster. That column doesn't have the key in it, we are still using the ignition in the dash. I have seen a few custom dashes and there are some pretty inventive people out there. Take a look around here and see some of the great ideas. Good luck with your truck and if you have any questions shoot me a message,

Bernie
Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
CharlieSheen

Anyone have any ideas about a stock tilt column that will have a shift indicator that can handle overdrive?Something pre-airbag?

I am also waffling on whether I really want to stick with key-in-dash.My build will be for a daily driver,15k miles per year and tons of in and out.I have driven key in dash daily,but a few years ago.Column key is better for quick getaways,I believe.

I am very hesitant to go aftermarket on this one.Factory columns have proven to last,and in my mind I seem to think I would have to keep an extra aftermarket column on hand to make a fast emergency swap if there were problems.