The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Steve Cole

Buddy bucket differences? CST question.

I've noticed that some buddy bucket seats do not fold forward (67 only?), some fold forward only on the driver side, and some fold forward on both sides, why all the differences?

Also, was there a '68 step side offered with a CST option? If so, what did the CST package consist of? Thanks!
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Buddy bucket differences? CST question.

67 folds forward, 68 did not due to new vehicle regulations...but they can be easily modified to do so. If you find a set where one folds and the other doesn't chances are somebody modified it. I have a set now where this is the case. They came out of a 68.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
SS Tim

A Stepside (or Chassis Cab) CST 10-30 for 67-68 is going to look like a Fleetside except the box/rear fenders do not have the bodyside moldings.
Did you find an original?
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Steve Cole

Thanks Leddzepp, that is good to know! Making the seat able to fold forward, is this a common modification? I wonder if someone has done a write up on this?

Tim I didn't find an original, in fact, I have never even seen one! That looks really odd the way that side molding just "ends" on the cab like that. Thanks for sharing that! Actually, I was trying to equip my "regular" step side with all the CST options, but I never would have guessed the molding would come that way. I really thought that buddy buckets came on the CST models but I didn't see that listed. When was the tilt column first offered?

Thanks guys! I learn something new here everyday!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
I wonder if someone has done a write up on this?
Here you go: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=5575303
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
SS Tim

Buddy Buckets were standard in 67 with the CST trim option. In 68 CSTs reverted to a bench seat as standard with the Buddy Buckets being an additional cost option.

Tilt wheels were a 71-72 option.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
hugger6933

The tilt appeared in late 69 or early 70 from what I have read on here. When /if I get past the 70 that is on top of the list at the present time I'll get you some buddy bucket pics if you want my 68 GMC has them. In fact it kinda has two sets. When I got the truck I traded fore it and never had paid it any real attention until after the deal had been struck, but when I carried my wife by to show it to her on day the man was in his yard sitting in a lawn chair, I ask to look at my truck he said why not just take it home. Well I didn't bring the trailer you see and no tow bar, he stopped me it just across town so drive it home. I said it runs? sure he said. he hooked a pair of cables to it and said well it hasn't been started in months so it may need some help but it fired off I looked inside it was a buddy bucket truck formally a 396 t400 with air, power steering and brakes ,speed warning that worked[but only 3 gauges?]wood bed. I noticed the seats didn't match the center but didn't say anything. the next time he came to my shop, he had bought several truck and cars from me I asked about the seats he said those are what is called utility buckets. I took the adjuster off of them and bolted them to the seat frame already in there. Would you like the other seats? oh I also have the tailgate that was taken off when the truck was about 3 months old in my shop up town do you want it too? Well come get them. It was like Christmas!!
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
hugger6933

I forgot to say it is a 3/4 ton but is being changed to a swb with a 68 frame and 72 5 lug suspension already rolling. it is also going back big block t400
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Orange67

I found it odd that my buddies in my 67, the drivers side was the one that tilted (no reason to tilt LH, nothing but tank, RH needs jack access.). So when I put new carpet in, I swapped them. I know mine has never been modified, I just assumed a mix up at the factory.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
I found it odd that my buddies in my 67, the drivers side was the one that tilted (no reason to tilt LH, nothing but tank, RH needs jack access.). So when I put new carpet in, I swapped them. I know mine has never been modified, I just assumed a mix up at the factory.
The ones I have only tilt forward on the driver side as well. The passenger side is not movable.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Steve Cole

One more question, Does anyone know why the seat frames were encapsulated with the foam? Was this method cheaper to produce? I can't see a reason to have the seat foam on the backside of the springs and frames. Since the aftermarket seat cushions sit on top of the springs, does this make the ride height any taller or did they compensate for this by making the overall thickness of the cushions thinner because the total thickness is on top of the springs?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Steve Cole

Bump..
Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Steve Cole

Ttt.