The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
pdxhall

Electric fan: pics, info, and comments

Hey guys, I just ordered a new radiator and I'm ready to set up an electric fan/fans for cooling. Looking for what has been successful for others. The radiator is a Champion aluminum 3 row.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
brokenspoke

Re: Electric fan: pics, info, and comments

I'm not a fan of electrical fans...A traditional fan works great.....I like the KISS principle...just my 2 cents worth
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
I'm not a fan of electrical fans...A traditional fan works great.....I like the KISS principle...just my 2 cents worth
You're entitled to your opinion but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to hear from members that DO use electric fans.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
tincan1966

I am running an OEM V8 radiator with a shroud I made, a 16" Spal fan (2750CFM). I used a cooling fan switch(sensor) for an 1985 Camaro (turns fan on at 202 and off at 190).
I also added a "manual override" switch so I can turn the fan on sooner if I want to.
Trucks runs a consistent 194-197 (right on the thermostat temp) all the time with no issues at all.

The engine is a stock 305 TBI.
Attached Images

tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to hear from members that DO use electric fans.
Dayum!
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
earl84

I wanted to use the Mark VIII fan, but ended up not having room. I put in a 454 with a serpentine belt conversion from a small block. Didn't have enough put together to get accurate measurements to see if it would all fit. Ordered the relay setup from here, http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddet...?prod=MarkVIII, very nice. Lots of info on that site as well. Ordered a new fan from Rock Auto, about $75, just a little more than a junkyard. Sort of sucked that it wouldn't fit, ended up going with mechanical.
One thing I found that made it easy for a shroud was ordering a universal aluminum shroud kit from Summit, they have MANY different sizes, just get measurements from your radiator.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Mathew21

You can buy a rather cheap but very efficient electric fan from a Ford Taurus with a 3.8 from a junk yard. Do a google search on Ford Taurus fans to see what year range. I think it's 1990-1995.

There are ton's of write ups on people using them in Hot rods and off road vehicles. I had one in my Offroad Jeep it worked great. I paid $35.00 for it from a local u pull junk yard.

Here's one write up: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
LVPhotos

I ran a Fle-a-lite 180 Black Magic in my Durango at 3300 cfm. The dimensions fit my stock 62 radiator. It Vegas hot and keept everything cool. Now without all the electronics it sure to cool more efficintly.
Attached Images

LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #9
64shortbox

I went the cheap route when it came time to put an electric fan on my 64 C10. I picked up a Lincoln Mark VIII fan and shroud from the local wrecking yard. I tested the fan with my De Walt 18V cordless drill battery to make sure it worked. I used a Volvo fan relay to trip the fan. Volvos' use a ground to complete the circuit to fire the relay so I had to use a Bosh style relay to complete the ground when the ignition was "ON". I didn't want the fan to continue to run with the ignition off. I also used a temperature switch from Summit which was the only new item I bought. The Bosch style relay, Volvo relay and the Mark VIII all came from the junkyard. So I went from the ignition ON to the Bosch relay to the temperature switch then to the Volvo relay for the ground. I ran an 8 gauge line straight from the battery to a 60 amp circuit breaker the hot side of the Volvo relay then ran an 8 gauge wire from tripped side of the Volvo relay to the Mark VIII fan and grounded the fan to the chassis. The Mark VIII fan almost looks factory once installed doesn't it? Clear as mud?
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
bj383ss

64shortbox. That looks awesome. I am torn between this or a Taurus fan and shroud. They can be bought new for a good price.

Bret
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #11
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
You asked for comments...good luck
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
64shortbox

Bret,
I went with the Mark VIII fan only because I felt it was a better fit to our truck radiators. I went to the junkyard @ 1/2 off day (I'm a cheep SOB) and I picked up one of each a Mark VIII fan and a Taurus fan. I have an old C10 radiator out back I can lay on the ground and take pictures with both a Taurus fan laid on it and a Mark VIII on it.
You would still need to make some kind of mounting brackets for either fan set up. I work at a food processing plant and have access to stainless steel sheet metal and a rather crummy home made brake so I built my fan mount from scrap stainless but the same could be accomplished with some 1/16" X 2" angle iron, some 3/8" schedule 40 PVC pipe for the standoffs and some 1/4"-20 bolts. I would use carriage bolts so you have a rounded head against the radiator fins.
Hope this helps.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote