The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
trevarthan

1971 C10 L6 4.1L coughs after turning off

Hello,

I bought this truck a few months ago. Sometimes, when I turn the key off, the engine spins down, then "coughs" and tries to turn over one last time. The previous owner thought this was a malfunctioning carb, so the truck came with a carb rebuild kit.

I've since replaced the door locks, axle bearings, brakes, turn signal switch, fuel pump, power steering pump, radiator cap, and even the air filter. I think it's pretty funny that he prioritized this minor issue as a must-fix-first thing, but he's an old school engine racing guy, so I guess that makes sense.

Is this a carb issue? Will a rebuild kit fix it? Is there a book I could buy that would teach me how to install the rebuild kit? I replaced a head gasket once on a 94 toyota pickup, so I'm pretty sure I'm handy enough to handle it. I just need instructions.

Alternatively, Autozone sells an automatic choke carb for about $250. I assume this is an auto choke carb since I don't see a control anywhere for the choke, and under the air filter there was a little doo-hickey labeled "AC". It must not be working though, because I have to gas it for 30 seconds when I start it to keep it running.

Any info appreciated. I'm having a lot of fun bringing the mechanicals on this thing back to working order.

Thanks!
trevarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 1971 C10 L6 4.1L coughs after turning off

It's called deiseling.
Turn down your idle or pull back your timing a couple degrees.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
RManson

Sounds like a timing issue.

If it's an Auto trans truck, you can shut it off in 'drive' so as to avoid embarrassment when you pull up to the local car hop.
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
trevarthan

It's a three on the tree. I just hold the clutch down until I'm sure it's done. I'll check the timing and idle for sure. Thanks.
trevarthan is offline   Reply With Quote