The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
engineer_gregh

No Parking Lights, tail lights, or marker lights

Folks this past weekend I suddenly had no tail lights, parking lights, or side marker lights. Also my instrument cluster lights and interior light is not working. The headlights, turn signals front and back, and front marker lights work with the turn signal and flashers work. I don't see any blown fuses. Is there something common with the parking lights, marker lights, cluster and interior lights? I've owned this truck for several years and never had a problem with the lights to this point. I've changed the headlight switch, bypassed the headlight relay kit, flasher, and checked all fuses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's a 71 pickup. Thanks
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
engineer_gregh

Re: No Parking Lights, tail lights, or marker lights

I just removed and checked all the bulbs. None were blown. Re-checked the fuses with an ohm meter and all are good. Any suggestions? Any are appreciated.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Steve Cole

I had something similar happen to me. Check the connection at the steering column plug & wiring harness. Wiggle it, squeeze it, etc.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
engineer_gregh

Thanks Steve. I did get the interior light to come on for just a minute but I think it was because I was moving and checking the wires at the fuse block. I took the block loose under the hood by removing the center screw. I cleaned all the terminals with contact cleaner and put it back together but its still bad. Maybe someone else will come up with suggestions. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Steve Cole

That's not the connection I was talking about. Your steering column has wiring in it that terminates with a connector plug that plugs into your under dash wiring harness. where the steering column plugs into the under dash wiring harness, check there.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
engineer_gregh

I'm not sure where you are talking about but I'll go back and look again. I appreciate the help Steve.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Steve Cole

That's not the connection I was talking about. Your steering column has wiring in it that terminates with a connector plug that plugs into your under dash wiring harness. where the steering column plugs into the under dash wiring harness, check there.

Name:  column wiring.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  106.8 KB
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
engineer_gregh

I removed the cluster and took the connection you suggested apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner. For anyone reading this thread this was a lesson in humility. After all the troubleshooting, cleaning, ohm checking it was the fuse block. I removed the fuse for the Tail Stop lights and replaced it with a fuse from another 71 (I had already ohms checked the fuse) I have and the problem was solved. The humility part is the fact that the fuse I removed worked in the other truck. The fuse block prongs must have been just corroded enough to keep current from flowing. Sliding the fuse in and out for must have cleaned the prongs enough to work. Very frustrating but hey the fuse block is 43 years old.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
engineer_gregh

One last point is that the parking lights, cluster lights, dome light, and marker lights all get power from the same circuit. If you ever have all go out at once its typically the headlight switch or fuse. But as I just experienced there is always room for gremlins. Thanks for the help and picture Steve.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Steve Cole

Glad you got it fixed!