The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
grs

PS out again

I replaced the PS pump about 300 miles ago. I bought one at NAPA. It had a life time warranty on it. Well I will be replacing it tomorrow. I have had it with bad rebuilt parts. It will take me 4 to 5 hours to do the job. I may wind up selling the truck.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
lha1992

Re: PS out again

Don't sell the truck over bad parts man!! I know how it feels where you get really pissed off at the truck or something cause you have to replace parts yet again. Hopefully the next one of the pumps is better! Its an old truck remember.
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
jjzepplin

Rebuilt parts do suck. I hope your not serious about selling. Relax. Fix your truck and when your driving again you will remember why you have an awesome truck that no one else has.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
'65 chevy lover

Don't let that influence your decission to get rid of the truck. Bad parts are a fact of life. Does it suck...you bet it does but, I bet you'd be kicking yourself if you sold it.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
BigSix

Bad parts suck! Put a full bottle of Lucas power steering conditioner in this time. It's thick stuff and has always helped keep my older steering parts alive. Also, there's a brand called Lares and they rebuild quality parts in the USA and the prices are very low. Look them up.
BigSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
pdxhall

You can rebuild them yourself. If you have a decent core, the parts are less than $20 to do it and there's videos on youtube that go step by step. It's real easy and then you know what's been done to it. Good luck and don't give up.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
tincan1966

Once had a mechanic tell us " new means new, it doesn't mean good!"

What is going wrong with them?

Seen a lot of people keep replacing pumps when there was a problem with the box itself. Strongly recommend flushing the system before installing the next pump, on the off chance there is some debris in the system causing repeated failure.

Defective parts are disgusting, I agree, but afterall- no one is perfect, have to except that "things" happen in even mass production.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I would head to the wrecking yard, find the one like what you have, clean it up, install it and put the PS conditioner in there. You can surely bet, the reason that vehicle is in the wrecking yard has nothing to do with any PS issues. I bet you could get out for under $20.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
grs

Here is the pump that I am replacing. It was leaking around the part that the cap goes into. At the bottom of the long part. The other pump that I got to put on is also bad. The housing is blocking the bolt that goes into it. The top bolt will go in but the bottom one wont go in. So now I have to take that one back. This may be a 40 hour job.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
BigSix

I'm telling you return that pump outright. I like the junkyard idea plus conditioner. Or just get the Lares pump and know its a USA reman. My steering box from them was beautiful. Junkyard is probably best though - cheapest and most likely a good pump.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSix View Post
I'm telling you return that pump outright. I like the junkyard idea plus conditioner. Or just get the Lares pump and know its a USA reman. My steering box from them was beautiful. Junkyard is probably best though - cheapest and most likely a good pump.
Do you have Lares web site?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
Do you have Lares web site?

http://www.larescorp.com/ Google is your friend....

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
tincan1966

Quote:
Here is the pump that I am replacing. It was leaking around the part that the cap goes into. At the bottom of the long part. The other pump that I got to put on is also bad. The housing is blocking the bolt that goes into it. The top bolt will go in but the bottom one wont go in. So now I have to take that one back. This may be a 40 hour job.
The mis-alignment is an easy fix. Loosen the 1" fitting where the pressure hose attaches, and also the upper housing to pump bolt. Position the pump where you can install all the bolts finger tight. Then tighten the bolts evenly then tighten the fitting.
Takes about as long to do as it did to type it up.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
BigSix

http://www.larescorp.com

I don't have a pump from them but if they rebuild pumps like they rebuild steering boxes you should be really happy. Plus the prices are less or about the same as part store rebuilds. I hope the pumps are as good as the boxes though.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
cortcomp

If you care about originality and getting the correct style reservoir, it can be tough because most are the later "triangle" reservoir (which i never usually have leaks with) or the "tube" style reservoir. It took me 4 pumps to find the correct reservoir, all the cardones, etc are coming back as different reservoirs. You can swap them, but whatever, i paid for a whole pump and i want that. If you don't care, look for one with the later reservoir, i have less issues with those leaking. Atsco had the correct reservoir.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #16
grs

Quote:
I bought mine at NAPA. It came with a life time warranty. I put the replacement one on today. It only took 5 hours. I was trying to line up the pulleys. I will see if it is Ok tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #17
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortcomp View Post
If you care about originality and getting the correct style reservoir, it can be tough because most are the later "triangle" reservoir (which i never usually have leaks with) or the "tube" style reservoir. It took me 4 pumps to find the correct reservoir, all the cardones, etc are coming back as different reservoirs. You can swap them, but whatever, i paid for a whole pump and i want that. If you don't care, look for one with the later reservoir, i have less issues with those leaking. Atsco had the correct reservoir.
Which type do I have. Maybe you can tell by looking at the pictures.