The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

Cheap air compressor idea for helper bags?

So, I was wondering, has anyone wired in a cheap tire air compressor for their air supply? Like the kind you get at harbor freight or autozone. I have several sitting around. I also have helper bags on my 98 that just run lines to the rear bumper so every time I need air I'm pulling one of these tire compressors out and hooking it up outside the truck. Seeing at that's a once a month thing, I can't rationalize a $100+ suspension compressor. I was thinking I could pull the stock air supply line off the cheapo and just put an air line fitting into its place, or am I missing something?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Cheap air compressor idea for helper bags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So, I was wondering, has anyone wired in a cheap tire air compressor for their air supply? Like the kind you get at harbor freight or autozone. I have several sitting around. I also have helper bags on my 98 that just run lines to the rear bumper so every time I need air I'm pulling one of these tire compressors out and hooking it up outside the truck. Seeing at that's a once a month thing, I can't rationalize a $100+ suspension compressor. I was thinking I could pull the stock air supply line off the cheapo and just put an air line fitting into its place, or am I missing something?
Sorta. I've never tried those specific ones, but we used to use a similar idea for our Bravada. It had the classic white "air shocks" that everyone sells for the s10 platform, with the T'd lines and a schroeder valve near the hitch. We used a 12v power inverter and a little bicycle-size pump when we needed it. It was nice for raceday as well, but it takes like 12min to fill a fullsize tire, and they can't do high pressures.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
a schroeder valve near the hitch. We used a 12v power inverter and a little bicycle-size pump when we needed it.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I pull it out of the tool bag, plug it into the cig lighter and walk back to the valves in the bumper to fill the bags up. I'd like to permenatly install it on the truck with a little switch inside the cab. Those little air pumps will get helper bags to 80psi in no time
Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Cheap air compressor idea for helper bags?

I did my helpers that way for a while then bought a good cheap compressor off e bay and now have it setup with it.
Don't have pictures of the cheapo because I didn't want anyone knowing but I have the new one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
ERASER5

Guy I used to work with did exactly that. Cheapo Wally world compressor, junk tank from somewhere, we had and abundance of old air control valve at work, plenty of tubing, gages and stuff. I doubt he had much more than the price of the compressor in it. It is only helpers and not full suspension stuff. Big difference in the safty aspect.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
It is only helpers and not full suspension stuff.
Exactly. I don't even plan on running a tank. Glad to know I'm not the only one to think this route. Thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
ERASER5

If you can separate the left from the right (2 valves) it will help with sway. Tied together, on a hard curve, some of the air will transfer from the loaded side to the unloaded side increasing the amount of sway as well as decrease the lift on one side. Separated bags give a "sorta" sway bar effect.

What you are carrying will have an effect on how much sway there is at all. I carry water, so sway and slosh are a big problem for me. A load of gravel does not cause me any sway problems.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote