The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
dzwestwindsor

Question Tilted exhaust?

I'm installing some custom piping for my exhaust, and I was wondering if it's ok to have the exhaust end on a slight upward tilt. Would that cause the water to build up in the exhaust and not get emptied out? Or does it not matter?
dzwestwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Tilted exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwestwindsor View Post
I'm installing some custom piping for my exhaust, and I was wondering if it's ok to have the exhaust end on a slight upward tilt. Would that cause the water to build up in the exhaust and not get emptied out? Or does it not matter?
I think you answered your own question. If there is a low spot in the system, the condensation will collect there and promote rotting. If you have to have a situation like that, drill a 1/8 drain hole at the lowest point to let condensation drain. Most mufflers will have a drain hole for that very same reason.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
dzwestwindsor

Wouldn't drilling a hole promote corrosion as well? Also, would it affect the sound at all? The lowest spot is after the muffler, about half a yard from the exit

And also, does the condensation form when the vehicle is sitting for long periods of time without the motor on? Or does it come from something else?
dzwestwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwestwindsor View Post
Wouldn't drilling a hole promote corrosion as well? Also, would it affect the sound at all? The lowest spot is after the muffler, about half a yard from the exit

And also, does the condensation form when the vehicle is sitting for long periods of time without the motor on? Or does it come from something else?
If you spray high heat paint such as header paint over the hole, that will help. Anything after the muffler will not be very noticeable with a small 1/8 hole. Condensation is a result of hot/cold/hot/cold temps inside the system. It is more likely to cause issues when you do short trips and the exhaust never gets really hot.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote