The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
kev63rod

4l80e trans ?s

so im headed to indiana for a short vacation and hope to get a trans for my truck while there. 02 chevy 3500 dually 4x4 6.0. as far as i can gather its a 4l80e. i think it will be hard to find a 4x4 unit at the u pull it places and so my plan was to get a 2 wheeler and convert it. was wondering how hard this is to do? i think the whole trans has to come apart? any special tools needed? im mechanical but have never been inside a trans. the truck got towed flat for 30 miles and the transfer case was in 4x4 low as far as i can tell and trashed it. so will the transfer be ok? will a 4l60e transfer work with a 4l80e trans? (i have a good one in the shed) what year trans will work for me? i was going to pull one out of a 2500-3500 van if they run 4l80e as they seem to be fairly easiest to find. will they work. any diesel application work? sorry for all the ?s just trying to get my ducks in a row first.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: 4l80e trans ?s

The transfer case has its own oil pump, So flat towing will not do harm to the transfer case.

The Transmission in your truck will be a 4L80E The transfer case will be a NP261 or NP263 Depending on if have push button shift or manual floor shift.

A 1/2ton transfer case will not work.

A 4L80E will need to be torn ALL the way down to swap the output. And the Lube Orifice cup plug will need to be replaced with a cup plug with no orifice. If it were to blow out....The output planet will stave for oil.

To keep the cooler line routing the same, Stick to '97 & up cores.

Diesel applications have lower stall converters, No fun behind a small gas engine.

Un-stacking then Re-stacking a trans isn't hard, A pump puller is the only special tool if your not tearing down drums. Usually you can "rock" the pump out.

Yes, 2500 & 3500 Express vans have 4L80E's, Even better they normally have fully splined output shafts that can be cut down & used on 4wd's.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
kev63rod

Re: 4l80e trans ?s

very informative. thank you very much. talked to a fairly local guy today that does some trans work and said he would unstack and restack my new trans for around $100 and check it out to see if it needs anything while he inside it. i figure i can figure out how to get the old trans apart. i own a sawsall and a hammer, lol. he has a teardown manual he said he would let me use to get mine apart. oh its a 263 xfer case

Last edited by kev63rod; 07-06-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: add info
kev63rod is offline   Reply With Quote