The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
BigSix

Fuel filter before and after pump?

Would anyone recommend against running 2 of those small plastic filters on my 305E? I am running the stock pump on the front of the block. Reason I ask is because a newish Airtex pump I had on their just died. When I pump it by hand lots of gunk comes out. My truck had been sitting for a while so I figure theres some stuff up high on the tank sides and when I fill up its slowly coming down. If I could put 2 filters I think I would protect the new Carter pump and the post Carter filter would further catch more junk. Truck runs great (until pump died yesterday and all I saw air pumping into the post pump filter). The previous owner had put only 1 filter after the pump...I think 2 inline filters should really restrict so much that its noticeable but I would love to know if you guys have had any issues or tried.

P.S. I believe I have 5/16" rubber line on the truck which attaches the metal line to the fuel pump.
BigSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Dillon Rock

Re: Fuel filter before and after pump?

I have considered running a sediment bowl on my 292 after the pump . Help catch a lot of crap after it leaves the pump and before the stone filter in the carbs. I have dual 1 bbl on it and I also have crud in the tank.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
BigSix

Doing a little thinking...I don't think there will be any issues with 2 filters the more I think about it.

The tanks on our trucks (in cab) are so high up that there is always a good amount of pressure just from that. Second - the inline paper filters aren't exactly high micron. My only objective is to protect the pump with the prefilter and make sure im protecting the Holley with the post filter. The filter that was on there when the pump died had some crust laying at the bottom so I would really like to have 2 on there and multiple filter changes until I know the tank is spotless. I don't think its bad enough where I have to take the tank out to clean if I just keep the fuel level high and let the crud break away and get filtered out.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Dillon Rock

Right. I have the same setup too. I have a filter before the pump and it catches a lot of bigger stuff and I'll agree it ain't no high micron. I've had good work from a sediment bowl on my tractors and it caught a lot of stuff. There will come a time that you have to drop that tank and clean it out because there's gonna be larger pieces that can't pass into the line yet clog the hole. Had that happen a while back and I took my vac advance line and blew it into the metal line to the tank and cleared the blockage but not for long. Best off cleaning the tank when time permits.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
BigSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Rock View Post
Right. I have the same setup too. I have a filter before the pump and it catches a lot of bigger stuff and I'll agree it ain't no high micron. I've had good work from a sediment bowl on my tractors and it caught a lot of stuff. There will come a time that you have to drop that tank and clean it out because there's gonna be larger pieces that can't pass into the line yet clog the hole. Had that happen a while back and I took my vac advance line and blew it into the metal line to the tank and cleared the blockage but not for long. Best off cleaning the tank when time permits.
Ok good to know I won't starve the carb of fuel. Thanks.

Yeah the tank will come out and get cleaned down the road. Maybe this winter. I don't think there are big chunks in there because its pretty tame in terms of the size of the grit but who knows.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Dillon Rock

True. Best of luck to ya on your rig man. Be sure to post some pictures of the truck. We like seeing others progress coming along.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
63burban
Chevy addict

No plastic filters, they can crack or just come apart, I have had them suck air and create problems and also fires are no fun
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Old Truck Man

I started a thread on installing fuel filter between the tank & fuel pump. Those plastic fuel filters are a fire hazard.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
jtrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Truck Man View Post
I started a thread on installing fuel filter between the tank & fuel pump. Those plastic fuel filters are a fire hazard.
any filter past the pump hooked up with rubber hose is also a fire waiting to happen I always put a steel inline filter before the pump and run hard line from the pump to the carb like the later trucks all have .....OR a filter like this some where on the frame between the fuel tank and the pump is great 60 series chevy around 1970 had a similar filter from the factory http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/f...ntent=17721237

Last edited by jtrichard; 07-06-2014 at 07:27 PM.
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
66Submarine

Zero problems with that IME; I have had several at once with no problem. The mechanical pumps pull fuel very well. Best thing is to just clean the tank, though; otherwise you might be plugging a filter every 50-100 miles, and continue plugging them for several thousand miles (IME). Not a big deal at all to clean a tank out with a chain, and it seems to work very well.