The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
tblazin2k5

picking up a new project

I recently moved to California from Ohio and within the first couple weeks I found myself a 68 suburban on craigslist that comes with a 67 suburban for parts. I went and looked at them this past weekend and decided I'm gonna go ahead and buy them. The price isn't too bad but I'm gonna try to get a better deal of course. Hopefully I will be picking them up this weekend. The 68 has a good running 350 in it with a th350 trans. I took it for a test drive and it drives great. Even has power steering and brakes. The parts truck is just that, it's missing the entire front clip and two front doors. Someone cut some rust off the bottom and then left the holes open but the frame is solid and in good shape and all the glass is in it and good.

My plan is to bag it with a front and rear dropmember and toss in an ls based engine and an overdrive transmission. Everything else is pretty much up in the air right now but I figure with the extra frame I could get all the suspension and drive train work done without a body in the way and still be able to drive the truck.

I will try to get the few pictures the guy sent me uploaded later. Let me know what you guys think.
tblazin2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
tblazin2k5

Re: picking up a new project

Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Cool!
Try to get as many Suburban related parts as possible, it will save you a lot of time tracking down stuff that is Suburban only.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
tblazin2k5

Is there someplace I could get a list of parts that are different? Also, is there anyone that makes quarter panels for these or can I use the long wheel base c10 bedsides?
Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

Everything from the front doors back, including the front doors them selves. Mainly the glass, since burbs have a squared off window frame.
Suburban rear quarters are different from pick ups.
I've never seen a list of differences, but I can't say there isn't one out there.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
tblazin2k5

I didn't figure I would get that lucky but figured it was worth asking. The quarter panels are solid just dented up pretty good. Nothing I can't get close enough for mud just didn't wanna do a ton of metal work if I could avoid it.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
frenchy51

Looks like a good project. I just picked up my 70 from getting lowered. The fun begins. Congrats from just north of you.
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
tblazin2k5

I moved here from Ohio less than a month ago, because of a promotion and transfer that my girlfriend got, and I've been pleasantly greeted by solid rust free classic cars. I'm used to most everything being rotted from the door handles down. I'm pretty fortunate to be working at a shop that doesn't mind if I work on my own stuff as long as I pay for materials.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
tblazin2k5

Has anyone ever "shaved" the back two side windows? As in taken the glass out and welded in a piece of sheet metal. I was considering doing this as well as the back hatch glass to kind of make the rear half resemble a panel truck. I've searched around and can't seam to find anything.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
3drburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblazin2k5 View Post
Has anyone ever "shaved" the back two side windows? As in taken the glass out and welded in a piece of sheet metal. I was considering doing this as well as the back hatch glass to kind of make the rear half resemble a panel truck. I've searched around and can't seam to find anything.
Congrats on the new project.
Your idea is very interesting and you may have the only one if done, it may help to try and get it photoshop to see how it will look. "Panelburb"
It will be fun to see how or IF you do it.
I think most like having their glass house with wheels and a couch.

Very nice find.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
tblazin2k5

I might just pick up a roll of vinyl and slap it over the windows to get an idea of how it will look. I mostly want something different. I love panels but they aren't easy to find, plus having the passenger area windows will be nice for anyone riding in the back.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
tblazin2k5

Went and picked up the new project today. Drove it over an hour home with no issues. The parts truck will be dropped off tomorrow morning.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
BAD1916

There is a suburban running around Ventura CA that has the rear windows filled. I believe the barndoor glass is still there though.if I see it around again I will try to grab a pic.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
tblazin2k5

That would be really helpful, or if someone could Photoshop a picture for me. I don't have a computer at the moment nor do I know how to use Photoshop.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #15
tblazin2k5

The parts truck got dropped off today. It took a bit to get it unloaded but its in the garage and ready for disassembly. I basically just plan on using the frame and possibly the roof.

I suppose I should probably start a thread over in the projects section.