The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
tiddlar

Please help.

Bought a 5 window from an old man. I go to check the title and the vin plate on the drivers side door, well what do you know... It doesn't match. The old man has two more cabs he is checking but I doubt he will find the vin number that matches the title. What can I do???
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
tiddlar

Re: Please help.

Now he says he will buy one off eBay and stamp it to match title? Is that even possible?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
MIKESAD50

the Title VIN matches the engine number not the tag on the cab.
tag on the cab tells you year, where built and also the model.
MIKESAD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
OrrieG

1. Was it ever titled in his name? If so he can request a new title, I had to do that on a couple of my Dad's vehicles. Could be the title used the motor number instead of cab vin.
2. If #1 is no, then go talk to DMV (small local office) and see if bill of sale will work in AZ and if cab title is going to be the critical piece or if they will be assigning a VIN number since the frame does not have one. Some state require an inspection and assign a VIN on all mashed up hot rods. If its the cab you may need to get a bonded title, basically you post a small bond, it is advertised, and if no one steps forward with proof of ownership in a time period you get a clear title.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddlar View Post
Now he says he will buy one off eBay and stamp it to match title? Is that even possible?
So you both can be fined, etc.???
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
tiddlar

It was titled in his name actually... Can he request a title to have it match the vin that's on the cab?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
MotherTrucker

Arizona titles use the VIN plate numbers on the driver side door pillar {not the engine #.}.

Trying to get a replacement title to match the VIN plate on your cab will be a can of worms as the truck will need to be inspected by MVD & then you will have to go with a "bonded" title & that will cost you $200-$300.

You can stamp the numbers from your title on a fresh VIN plate & replace the old plate but from what I learned years ago.....be advised that removing, altering or switching VIN numbers is a felony in Arizona & could get you jail time if you get caught.

Last time we tried something screwy like that.... it ended up being a rather unpleasant situation with the Tucson P.D.
Attached Images

MotherTrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherTrucker View Post
Arizona titles use the VIN plate numbers on the driver side door pillar {not the engine #.}.

Trying to get a replacement title to match the VIN plate on your cab will be a can of worms as the truck will need to be inspected by MVD & then you will have to go with a "bonded" title & that will cost you $200-$300.

You can stamp the numbers from your title on a fresh VIN plate & replace the old plate but from what I learned years ago.....be advised that removing, altering or switching VIN numbers is a felony in Arizona & could get you jail time if you get caught.

Last time we tried something screwy like that.... it ended up being a rather unpleasant situation with the Tucson P.D.

Yea man.. I'm cutting my losses in selling it.