The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #26
Desert1957

Re: Last 87 Pickup?

This thread made me check my build date, I was not even close December 86 for my 87R10...LOL

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #27
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
I can honestly say that I'm not interested in a tie. I want GM to win so big that everyone else goes home.

But back on topic, we would have to decide which model we wanted the last of, as I'm sure the crews and 'burbs and K5's were built longer in 87. So if we limit ourselves to just regular cab 1/2 or 3/4 tons then we could start looking at build dates. i didn't work trucks back then, but I would assume that they built the first 1988's in one plant and kept the 87's going until May or june in the others. Anyone got a May or June date truck?
Unfortunately GM has been getting kicked around pretty hard lately by Ford. That Shelby mustang beats their ZL1 Camaro pretty badly in a race, and even that new stingray corvette. And as always the F-150 outsells GM and Dodge by a long way. I'm thinking that GM's financial troubles might be to blame for all these recent failures. Did the government ever sell them back their shares? Or are they still "Government Motors"?

But the last 87, that guy from the GM heritage place couldn't just use the invoice numbers? Weren't they in ascending order? Therefore, the largest number would be the last truck.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #28
50seven

This is a great topic how fitting 1987 the last truck GM made.

I have been saying this for years. The last time GM made a truck was 1987.
When is GM going to build products for the people again?

Please GM build a reasonable size & priced rwd pony car, build a half ton pickup with a 4 cyl diesel, build a 4wd 2500/3500 truck with a solid diff and a standard trans, Turbos? We want turbos.........

Lose the power everything only option at the dealership. Give the people turbos at a reasonable price..........

I would like to see the general thrive not just break even!

What do other people want?

What would everyone else like to see from GM?
50seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #29
esbstuff

2 weeks ago I truck to the shop to get it running... 2 fuel pumps, fresh gas and a fuel filter later, I had a running/driving truck. Good news is everything but the a/c works and it just needs charged. Since its back home, I got to go through the truck and found a few things... Orginal windshield! and an orginal and filled out owners manual!
Attached Images

esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #30
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Unfortunately GM has been getting kicked around pretty hard lately by Ford. That Shelby mustang beats their ZL1 Camaro pretty badly in a race, and even that new stingray corvette. And as always the F-150 outsells GM and Dodge by a long way. I'm thinking that GM's financial troubles might be to blame for all these recent failures. Did the government ever sell them back their shares? Or are they still "Government Motors"?

But the last 87, that guy from the GM heritage place couldn't just use the invoice numbers? Weren't they in ascending order? Therefore, the largest number would be the last truck.
Any pictures of your F-150?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #31
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post

No.

There is not a definite relationship between the invoice number and time built. There is a general trend (first in, first out so to speak) but not with the kind of resolution you are looking for when you are trying to get down to one truck vs another built in close proximity.

The records were kept as financial documents, not with the foresight of using them as information for future historians.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #32
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbstuff View Post
Teaser... Last 87 GMC? At least it was the last 87 GMC at the St Louis plant. A 8/7/87 build date will be hard to beat. This truck was the 2nd to last truck off of the line. The last one was a Chevy. Details to follow later. I have hidden the last didgits of the vin because I am still researching the location of the last truck, the Chevy.
Thank you for posting that document, by the way. Very cool.

If you feel comfortable can you give me a rough idea of where the sequential portion of the VIN landed, for this truck and for the Chevy? Meaning: 150000? 230000? 550000? 670000? etc.

I am curious, and may be able to make another couple interesting points depending on the outcome.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #33
esbstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Thank you for posting that document, by the way. Very cool.

If you feel comfortable can you give me a rough idea of where the sequential portion of the VIN landed, for this truck and for the Chevy? Meaning: 150000? 230000? 550000? 670000? etc.

I am curious, and may be able to make another couple interesting points depending on the outcome.

K
Thanks! PM sent...
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote